Walking To Fight Arthritis
Arthritis walk takes off at Bridgeport Park.
Sunday afternoon, many Santa Clarita residents showed up to Bridgeport Park to support the annual Arthritis Walk.
The event is run nationwide to help raise awareness and funds to help fight the disease.
Arthritis is a problem that reaches all age groups. According to Arthritis.org , there are some facts about the disease that most of the public may not know:
- Arthritis is one of the most prevalent chronic health problems and the nation’s leading cause of disability among Americans over age 15.
Arthritis is second only to heart disease as a cause of work disability.
- Arthritis limits everyday activities such as walking, dressing and bathing for more than 7 million Americans.
- Arthritis results in 39 million physician visits and more than a half million hospitalizations.
- Costs to the U.S. economy totals $128 billion annually.
- Arthritis affects people in all age groups including nearly 300,000 children.
- Baby boomers are now at prime risk. More than half those affected are under age 65.
- Half of those Americans with arthritis don’t think anything can be done to help them.
- Arthritis refers to more than 100 different diseases that affect areas in or around joints.
- Arthritis strikes women more often than men.