Set Your Clocks Forward This Weekend
Daylight Savings time is here.
At 2:00 a.m. Sunday morning, March 9th, Daylight Savings will prompt residents to turn their clocks forward one hour.
The move will make for darker mornings and more daylight in the evenings.
Recently, Daylight Savings time was extended by four weeks to help lower the use of lighting in early evening hours.
The City of Santa Clarita recommends that residents use the Daylight Savings time to also address other important items in their homes.
- Check fire extinguisher charge gauges --- kitchen, garage, bedrooms
- Practice a family fire drill --- E.D.I.T.H. - Exit Drills In The Home
- Replace smoke detector batteries
- Touch base with your Out of State contact person --- if you don't have one, then establish one
- Send a map of where you live to your Out Of State Contact person --- this is especially helpful when an event happens in LA County/Ventura County
- Change the batteries in the portable radio
- Check expiration dates on food and water supplies in your home emergency packs, car kits, and work backpacks
- Make copies of important documents and store in multiple locations: safe deposit box, at home fire safe, or with an out of state contact
- Review your homeowner insurance policy declarations - do you have enough coverage; do you know and understand your policy exclusions?
- Limit, Isolate, Eliminate & Separate household hazardous materials --- look under the kitchen sink, and check out the garage --- fertilizers, gasoline, paints, varnishes
- Most importantly, talk with your family about a plan