Saugus School District Turns 100
First schoolhouse opened in 1908, district now serves 11,000
In the city of Santa Clarita,
there has been much change over the last 20 years. It’s hard for many to
imagine life without the Valencia Town
Center, or life when there were
only three high school football teams and residents actually envied
Palmdale/Lancaster because they had two Walmarts and we had none.
Even more difficult to visualize is Santa Clarita life a
full century ago. While the time has certainly changed, one constant has been
the presence of the Saugus Union
The first Saugus
schoolhouse was opened off of Bouquet Canyon Road
in 1908, in an area since developed into a shopping center housing Jill’s Cakes,
a veterinarian’s office and a pizza parlor.
In those days a mere $100 donation from three families allowed
the school to open, and it continued to fulfill all of the Saugus School
district’s needs until a second school, Santa Clarita Elementary, opened in the
Currently, the Saugus
Union School District
runs 15 schools, catering to 11,000 students in Santa Clarita.
The original schoolhouse was closed in the 1970’s, however
its original school bell is preserved in the bell tower of the Jan Heidt
Metrolink Station in downtown Newhall.
To celebrate the centennial, the Saugus
School District is holding an event
on Sunday October 26th at Bridgeport
Park from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
“We’re hoping the community comes out and helps us
celebrate,” said Judy Umeck, a member of the District’s Board of Trustees.
Umeck told KHTS that the event will feature entertainment,
activities and school-specific performances. Each school will have its own
booth, showcasing the individual creativity of the students.
To put on such a large event, school staff, principals,
students and PTA members came together to
hammer out the details.
“It was such an incredible demonstration of teamwork,” Umeck
The Centennial celebration is open to the public and free of
charge. Additionally, Saugus District alumni, both students and teachers are
encouraged to stop by the main booth to re-connect.