Santa Clarita Public Library Hosts Free Events
February, March and April are great months to visit your local Santa Clarita Public Library branch as all three facilities will feature engaging, interactive programming for readers of all ages. The following events are free to the public and headed to a local library near you soon.
- Yum Chocolate! For Teens & Adults – On Saturday, February 1, 2014 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Valencia Library, teens can taste a variety of chocolate, learn the history of the decadent treat, and try their hand at a few recipes - just in time for Valentine’s Day. The program is sponsored by the Cultural Landscape Initiative and presented by local pastry chef and cook, Theresa Frederickson. Frederickson will also host Yum Chocolate! For Adults on Monday, February 10, 2014 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Old Town Newhall Library.
- Erica Bauermeister Author Event – On Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.residents are invited to the Old Town Newhall Library as the Friends of Santa Clarita Public Library hosts national best-selling author Erica Bauermeister for an evening of food, rituals and family. This FREE event will feature a discussion on her latest novel “The Lost Art of Mixing” and copies of her work will be available for purchase and signing. Light refreshments will be served.
- Antique Appraisal Day – On Saturday, February 8, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Old Town Newhall Library, residents can bring their family heirlooms or collectibles to be appraised by experienced professional appraisers for just $5.00 per item or $20 for five items. All proceeds from this event will benefit the Friends of Santa Clarita Public Library.
- Gary Soto Author Event – On Saturday, February 8, 2014 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., community members are invited to join acclaimed Mexican-American author Gary Soto for a special afternoon at Savia, located at 23780 Newhall Road. Sponsored by the Friends of Santa Clarita Public Library and partially funded by the Cultural Landscape Initiative, this FREE event will feature discussions about Soto’s career and themes most prominent in his books, such as Mexican-American community and experience. Copies of his work will be available for purchase and signing.
- Start Smart Drivers Education – This informative program, presented by the California Highway Patrol, will educate newly-licensed and soon-to-be licensed drivers on ways to be a smart driver. Topics will include driving responsibilities and ways to reduce teen-related accidents by making good decisions behind the wheel. The program will be offered at each Santa Clarita Public Library branch as follows: Saturday, February 15 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Old Town Newhall Library; Saturday, March 15 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Valencia Library; and Saturday, April 19 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Canyon County Library.
- "Be Safe the Movie: How to Interact Safely with the Police" – Enjoy a free, interactive screening of this movie at the Valencia Library on Monday, March 10, 2014 from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. The movie helps those with adaptive needs, learning differences and other special needs learn about potential encounters with law enforcement. The movie will be presented by the writer and producer, Emily Iland, who is a Santa Clarita resident. The film is in English with Spanish subtitles.
For more information about these events and other happenings at the Santa Clarita Public Library, visit SantaClaritaLibrary.com.