I-5 Lane Closures Planned For The Month Of April
Several ramp and lane closures along the Interstate 5 freeway are scheduled for the month of April. The California Department of Transportation has planned the closures as part of two separate projects: a $72 million project to construct a truck lane on the I-5 South between Pico Canyon Road/Lyons Avenue and State Route 14, and a $140 million project to construct High Occupancy Vehicle lanes and a direct HOV lane connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange.
Throughout construction, ramp closures will be staggered and detours will be signed. For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts delivered right to your inbox.
Lane closure information for these and other freeway projects is available on the Caltrans website, here.
Closures for the truck lane project, April 7-13:
- Between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., up to three lanes of northbound I-5 will be closed between the end of the existing truck lane and Lyons Ave.
- Between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., up to three lanes of southbound I-5 will be closed between Lyons Ave. and the end of the existing truck lane.
At least one lane will be open at all times. The most restrictive closures will occur between midnight and 4 a.m.
About the project:
The project is adding a truck lane to the outside of southbound I-5 in by paving the median area and outside shoulder and shifting the mixed-flow lanes inward. Median retaining walls and two short sections of outside retaining walls will be built to accommodate this widening.
The truck lane will extend from Pico Canyon Road/Lyons Avenue to SR-14, a distance of 3.7 miles.
This project will ease traffic delays, improve goods movement, absorb traffic growth due to population increase (both residential and commercial) and enhance safety by separating truck traffic from passenger vehicles. Construction began in May 2012 and will be completed in 2014.
Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, Or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closures for the HOV lane project, April 7-13:
- Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., up to four lanes of southbound I-5 will be closed between SR-118 and SR-170.
- Between 9 p.m. and 6 p.m., eastbound/westbound Osborne Street on-ramp to southbound I-5 will be closed.
- Between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., eastbound Terra Bella Street on-ramp to southbound I-5 will be closed.
- Between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m., eastbound SR-118 connector to southbound I-5 will be closed.
- Between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., westbound SR-118 connector to southbound I-5 will be closed.
The most restrictive closures will occur between midnight and 4 a.m.
Long-term on-ramp closures:
- Westbound Osborne Street to northbound I-5 (opens May 2013)
- Eastbound Osborne Street to northbound I-5 (opens June 2013)
- Branford Street to southbound I-5 (opens December 2013)
Long-term off-ramp closures:
- Northbound SR-170 to Sheldon Street (opens May 2013)
- Northbound I-5 to westbound Terra Bella Street (opens June 2013)
- Northbound I-5 to eastbound Van Nuys Boulevard (opens June 2013)
- Northbound I-5 to Branford Street (opens June 2013)
In addition, southbound I-5 between the I-5/SR-170 interchange and Sheldon Street will be closed at night from March 20 through April 19, 11 p.m. to 4 a.m., Monday through Saturday. The closure is necessary so that crews can remove the temporary supports (aka falsework) on the new connector.
About the Project:
Caltrans is constructing an HOV lane in each direction on I-5 between the Hollywood Freeway (SR-170) and SR-118, a distance of 6.8 miles (3.4 miles in each direction). The project is also widening four undercrossings, replacing sections of pavement and building a direct HOV connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange. A direct HOV connector allows for freeway-to-freeway transfers without exiting the carpool lane.
This project will alleviate congestion, encourage carpooling, improve air quality and provide a smoother ride for motorists. The work is part of Caltrans’ effort to provide motorists with a seamless carpool lane network in California.
Work began in August 2010 and is on track for completion in late 2013. Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction.
For more information about both projects, click here.
- Article: I-5 Lane Closures Planned For The Month Of April
- Source: Santa Clarita News
- Author: Newsroom