Stress And Nutrition Tips: What Foods Hurt You? What Foods Help?
Are your favorite comfort foods actually hurting you by causing hidden stress in your body? What foods can help reduce stress?
We know stress is a part of everyday life, but what’s not as well-known is the cause-and-effect relationship between stress and nutrition.
Some foods can help reduce the damaging effects of stress. At the same time, other foods you think you love may be causing more stress and damage to your body than you know.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts delivered right to your inbox.
Common symptoms of stress include:
- Joint and muscle pain
- Chronic infections
- Digestive symptoms
- Sleeping problems
If you have had any of these symptoms in the past 30 days, you might be having a harder time with stress than you need to.
All too often, our “comfort foods” create an additional source of stress. They can bring on discomfort and stress us out more instead of making us feel relaxed and satisfied.
Take a reading on your own body. Ask yourself:
- Do you get that warm and fuzzy feeling after eating bread or a dessert?
- Do you crave cereal before you go to bed?
- Do you sometimes feel you can’t get enough salty snacks?
- Do you need coffee in the morning or an energy drink in the afternoon?
In functional medicine, we pay attention to subtle symptoms such as those because we can help you avoid serious trouble. There may be some simple nutritional solutions to feeling better that don’t risk costly medical mistakes.
There are two main control systems in your body -- the nerve system and the hormone system. Between them, they make sure everything else in your body is functioning.
Eating foods that support these two systems instead of foods that irritate them goes a long way toward better stress management. Less stress gives you the best chance for a healthier, longer, happier life.
Here are seven quick tips to make sure the food you eat helps with stress instead of hurts you worse:
- Pay attention to what you eat and how you feel half an hour later. Keep track of which foods make you feel better and worse in the areas of energy, emotional stability, mental clarity and hunger satisfaction.
- Keep plenty of raw, organic vegetables loaded with antioxidants and important stress reducing vitamins around and ready to snack on throughout the day.
- Soak raw nuts and seeds overnight, then rinse them off and snack on them throughout the day for a good boost of stress-busting saturated fats.
- Only cook with butter or coconut oil, because other “healthier” oils change into stressful chemicals when heated.
- Drink filtered water with a pinch of sea salt and a twist of lemon throughout the day to stay hydrated and help flush stress away.
- Before you reach for a snack, do deep breathing exercises instead, then see if you are still hungry.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and heavily processed foods.
Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take Dr. Polucki’s Free Online Survey
If you are looking for something different from a five-minute consultation that results in a prescription, or from chiropractic treatments involving extreme twisting and cracking, then you need to see this.
Functional medicine is different, and here’s how. The very first step we take is to find the subtle chemical imbalances and hidden injuries that hold you back from high-energy health.
The next step is to repair and restore function naturally, without drugs, surgery, needles, twisting and cracking, or multi-level-market schemes.
We design each of our patients’ programs based on the patient’s individual needs, with a goal to:
- Discover your personal nutritional requirements, finding the best food to meet and beat stress;
- Clear the detoxification pathways, flushing out the poisons that rob your energy and immune response,
- Re-establish the disrupted hormonal pathways, turning the clock back on how you feel;
- Support the repair of connective tissues, getting you moving again as pain free as possible.
These goals can lower medical bills and risks for your whole family. And what that really means to you is more time and money to do your favorite things with the people you love most.
I’d like to show you just how amazing you can be. Take my free, fast and confidential online survey at http://www.drpolucki.com/consultation/ and you may qualify for a free 15-minute phone consultation.
About Santa Clarita Five Star Chiropractor Dr. Thomas Polucki
Dr. Thomas Polucki is a Board Certified Doctor of Chiropractic, Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner, Certified Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner, Certified Metabolic Typing Advisor and Certified Upper Cervical Chiropractor.
Dr. Polucki provides Functional Medicine services in most cities via remote labs and Internet consultations. He sees patients by appointment at 25050 Peachland Ave., Suite 105, Newhall, Calif., 91321. Visit http://www.drpolucki.com for more information or call 661-753-9340 to schedule an appointment.
Dr. Polucki also hosts the “Dr. Polucki Family Health Hour” on AM 1220 KHTS radio in Santa Clarita Mondays from 11 a.m. to noon. Click here to listen to the podcasts.
The information in this article is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease.
Article: Stress And Nutrition Tips: What Foods Hurt You? What Foods Help?
Source: Santa Clarita News