Alerts Button
E-Alerts
Podcasts Button
Podcasts
Movies
Movies
Youtube Button
Youtube
Traffic Button
Traffic
ListenLive Button
ListenLive

Friday

Mostly Sunny
Mostly Sunny
High: 87 °F
Low: 61 °F

Saturday

Mostly Sunny
Mostly Sunny
High: 84 °F
Low: 60 °F

Sunday

Mostly Sunny
Mostly Sunny
High: 85 °F
Low: 62 °F

Hart District Board President Delivers 75 Turkeys, Donations To Schools

An online push, with help from several Santa Clarita business owners, allowed Hart district board President Joe Messina to delivery 75 turkeys and $250 worth of sides to schools for families in need this week, ahead of Thanksgiving.


Don't miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts delivered right to your inbox.


The donations were given primarily through Messina’s website, therealside.com, a political blog that accompanies the syndicated show “The Real Side,” which he hosts on KHTS AM-1220.

The effort was spurred by a conversation that revealed to Messina there were approximately 600 families in the William S. Hart Union High School District who are in need.

“We have this many families who really truly have nothing, so we decided to do it something,” Messina said.

“About 40 percent came from (Santa Clarita) business owners, and the other 60 percent came from the radio show (website),” Messina said, “which was really blessed because people were giving from all over the country.”

The effort is one of numerous community efforts throughout Santa Clarita, such as the volunteer organizations at the Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center, and the free Thanksgiving meal hosted by former owners of the Newhall Bicycle Co., both of which will be taking place Thursday.

The blog site will soon be replacing its “turkey” button with a Christmas button for those who wish to donate to help needy families receive Christmas gifts, Messina said.


Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, or drop us a line at community@hometownstation.com.




Hart District Board President Delivers 75 Turkeys, Donations To Schools


Article: Hart District Board President Delivers 75 Turkeys, Donations To Schools
Source: Santa Clarita News
Author: Perry Smith