Feds Deny Boston Marathon Suspect Arrest, According To NBC Report
Feds are denying a Boston Marathon Suspect arrest has been made.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts delivered right to your inbox.
UPDATED 1:00 P.M.
RICHARD ESPOSITO, PETE WILLIAMS and ERIN MCCLAM | NBC NEWS
Authorities investigating the Boston Marathon bombing said Wednesday they have the face but not the name of someone seen on video leaving a black bag near the scene of the blasts.
The person was seen on a surveillance camera from a Lord & Taylor department store, one official said.
The FBI, Boston police, the U.S. attorney in Boston, a senior White House official and other NBC News sources all said there had not been an arrest. The statements came after several media outlets reported an arrest in the case.
“Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack,” Boston police said from an official Twitter account.
ORIGINIAL STORY | NBC NEWS
Authorities investigating the Boston Marathon bombing said Wednesday they have developed “solid leads” and identified “a number of people” they want to talk to after viewing hundreds of hours of video, with one or two standing out.
Senior officials told NBC News that they were not prepared to characterize those individuals as suspects.
“We are zeroing in on some people,” an official said.
Investigators analyzing photos and video have found people carrying black backpacks and duffel bags and setting them down in the area where the bombs went off, officials said.
The investigators said they were focused on video taken in the area closest to the blasts, which killed three people and injured 176 near the finish line Monday. Senior officials in Boston also said the team of investigators on the ground is making “solid progress” and that forensics work on bomb parts continues.
Earlier in the day, doctors said they have pulled fragments as large as 2 inches, including pieces of wood, concrete and plastic, from the bodies of people wounded in the attack.
The injuries have been so severe that surgeons have operated a second time on some patients, even after amputations, to fight possible infection, said Dr. Peter Burke, the chief of trauma services at Boston Medical Center.
Investigators have said the two bombs were housed in metal containers — at least one a kitchen pressure cooker — and studded with metal, including fine nails or brads, to make the devices more lethal. Burke said that doctors are making the fragments available to police.
A 5-year-old boy was among the patients still in critical condition at the hospital, Burke said. In all, 69 patients were still at Boston hospitals, including 19 critically injured.
FBI bomb technicians returned to the scene of the explosions Wednesday with police dogs.
Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, Or drop us a line at email@example.com