30 Homes Destroyed in Powerhouse Fire
The Powerhouse Fire continues to blaze as the damage toll rises, but the 30,000 acre flames are nearly contained, said a leading official.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts delivered right to your inbox.
30 homes were destroyed, according to the latest count, in addition to 28 outbuildings. The total cost of the operation has risen to $20 million. The fire is 84 percent contained, and is not expected to grow beyond its current size.
“We expect the fire to be fully contained by Monday,” said Anthony Akins, public information officer of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Southern California Edison lost 137 utility poles during the fire, which caused a power outage. Of these poles 128 have been replaced.
The power outage left 24 customers without electricity. Service to all residential customers is expected to be restored by today said Akins.
Nearly 1600 firefighters are currently assigned to the fire. There have been no deaths, and eight minor injuries were reported.
A fire recovery workshop is planned for Tuesday, June 11 at Hughes-Elizabeth Lakes Union Elementary School from 3 p.m. - 8 p.m.
The cause of the fire is still currently under investigation. It began Thursday, May 30 at approximately 3:30 p.m.
Early Sunday morning, California received approval from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, for a special Fire Management Assistance Grant, which provides funds to reimburse eligible firefighting expenses.
FEMA will reimburse 75 percent percent of the cost for fighting the fire. Local jurisdiction is expected to cover the remaining 25 percent.
Several roads remain closed including Lake Hughes Road at Dry Gulch as well as Sawmill Mountain Road at Lake Hughes Road.
Residents have been allowed back into all the communities affected by the fire. Proof of residency is required to gain access to access behind the road closures.
The following roads are open to residents only:
Munz Ranch Road at Lancaster Road
San Francisquito Canyon Road at Dry Gulch Road
Elizabeth Lake Road at San Francisquito Canyon Road
110th Street West at Avenue K
205th Street West at Lancaster Road
Pine Canyon Road at Three Points
Dry Gulch Road at San Francisquito Canyon Road
Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.