Here’s the latest weekly update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. David and Michael Ewart were in the most serious condition. David was the final family member to be released from the Grossman Burn Center, weeks after the fire. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist as the Ewart’s recover. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
MICHAEL had his final appointment with the infectious disease specialist and all looks well. We are awaiting his final test results, but all indications are that he is clear of all infections!!! He attended his first Burn Survivor Support Group meeting last Thursday at the Grossman Burn Center. It was very helpful for him to talk about his experiences thus far, and to hear other people who have been or are going through similar things. Unfortunately the family spoke too soon about his back. He has had two large spots open up, and they are now back to having to apply dressings to his entire back. The skin is so thin that it opens easily. He will not be able to begin wearing his pressure garments until this clears up, and the skin is thick enough to handle the garments.
Dr. Grossman wants Michael to continue working hard on his arms. He is going to give him until the summertime to asses them for surgery. He said that the left arm will most likely need surgery, but he is hoping to do the least invasive surgery possible. Hopefully, with a lot of hard work, Michael can avoid surgery on his right arm.
Michael had a lung capacity test on Monday. His lung capacity is at about 68%. This is due to the smoke inhalation injury. The same kind of scarring that is happening on his skin is also happening in his lungs. He will now be attending an additional 3 days of physical therapy to improve his lung function, strength, and cardiovascular endurance.
On a bright note, Michael was honored at the Hart High School Soccer Banquet. He received an academic award as well as the Most Inspirational Award. It was a very touching moment - the coach started crying as he was speaking of Michael and then Michael received a standing ovation as he went up to accept his award. It gives us goosebumps to hear this - how about you?
As usual, Michael continues to work hard at school and has a positive outlook on things. When he visited the Burn Center on Monday, he visited with 2 children who were going to have surgery the next morning. He really enjoyed that and has inquired about volunteering on a regular basis.
DAVID's skin continues to be very itchy. His pressure garment isn't exactly being worn 24/7 - of course it can't be worn while it is being washed, so apparently it is being washed frequently. David has been trying to play around on the violin. His physical therapy sessions are going well and he enjoys the local sessions. He is hoping that Michael may be able to join him in some local sessions which would be in addition to his already existing therapies.
* This weekend (Saturday, March 11th) is the Vince Falzone CD Release Benefit Concert at the Canyon Theater Guild. Tickets are $12 each and can be purchased at the Guild. It will be an amazing show...especially since we just got this HOT INFO from Lily Falzone..."Vince just talked to Dave (Ewart), and Dave is planning on playing a song with Vince this Saturday. He said he's been practicing and should be able to do it on Saturday. (Of course, it's not a 100% because it depends on how Dave feels on that day, but they are going to practice together this week)!" Isn't that amazing?!?! We wouldn't miss this for the world & hope you'll be there, too!!!
* The upcoming GARAGE SALE on Via Escovar to benefit the Ewarts will be here this weekend (Saturday, 3/11 from 7am to 11am)! Deborah Mann, the coordinator is asking if anyone has some clothing racks that could be borrowed on the 10th of March and returned on the afternoon/evening of the 11th? Clothing items always sell better if they are displayed on a rack, so if anyone can help, please contact Deborah at: (661) 255-9314 or Debmann44@aol.com . Be sure to stop by for some great deals!
* Hey, folks, there are only 245 tickets left for the JAY LENO benefit - March 23, 2006 at Hart High! First come, first served!! Please make checks payable to EOPF and include $1 postage/handling. Send to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321. When we're out...we're out! You won't want to miss this fun night. The Silent Auction & Raffle are shaping up to be nothing short of amazing! We are SOLD OUT of the Meet and Greets! Congrats to the lucky ones who already secured their tickets!
* The deadline for advertising in the Jay Leno Benefit program is this Friday, March 10, 2006! It is quickly approaching, and unfortunately, we will not be able to accept any ads after this date. We would LOVE to see lots more "Well Wishers" - if anyone would like to send their sentiments to the Ewart or Baker families, just visit the website (www.EwartAid.org ) click on "flyers" and click on "Advertising for Jay Leno Program". Print out the 2-page form and it will walk you through the steps of submitting your ad. These warm wishes & thoughts to the families go a long way in their healing process & your sentiments will be cherished by the families for years to come.
* Last Saturday night (3/4) was the Texas Hold'Em Poker Night at the Valencia Hills Clubhouse! A great time was had by all! Jacqui Ewart was the big WINNER (winner of losers, that is) - she was the first one out and won a "Texas Hold'Em for Dummies" CD! Good try, Jacqui. Michael did a great job & held his own for a really long time! The winners were: 1st Place: Craig Kugler, 2nd Place, Andrew Cruz and 3rd place was Alec Brown! Great job, guys!! For those who aren't Poker fans, there was plenty of food & festivities - some of the "authentic" dishes were so spicy it brought tears to the eyes of men! Whew! Special thanks to Kathy Peer, Audrey Davis and Annemarie Collins for all their efforts in planning this fun event! A percentage of the proceeds will be donated to the Ewart family.
* Thanks to the SIGNAL - included in the William S. Hart Union High School District News & Views Section, they had a picture of Hart High's Presentation of a check to the Ewart Family. This huge check represented funds collected from the students and faculty to aid the family in their recovery effort. Three cheers again for HART!!!!
* News has it that Access Magazine (LA Music Scene Magazine) which is distributed all over Southern California has an article on the Upcoming Benefit Concert for the Ewarts. Check out this link for more: http://allaccessmagazine.com/vol4/issue03/david_ewart.html (if the link doesn't work, you can cut & paste it into your browser).
* Last week, Jonathan was presented with an award for his entry into the City of Santa Clarita's annual Essay and Poster Contest. His award winning essay on bullying, described what it is like to love music and dance more than sports. It was eloquent and touching. Mrs. Blum was honored to present the award to Jonathan along with the City Manager, Ken Pulskamp. Our heartfelt congratulations to Jonathan on this well-earned success!
* In conjunction with the upcoming BOWLING BONANZA on April 2nd, Best Bite Pizza has offered a fund raiser. It will last ALL DAY!! 10% of all sales will benefit the Ewart family!!! Please check out the flyer that will be posted on the website within the next 24 hours - www.EwartAid.org - click on "flyers", then click on "Best Bite". Thanks to Sylvia Jacobowitz for coordinating this fund raiser.
* Speaking of the Bowling Bonanza, please note that if bowling isn't really your thing, you can SPONSOR A TEAM! Thanks to Linda & Augie Hess who have offered to sponsor a lane for the Ewart Family!!!
* Remember the Comedy Benefit Show that is coming up on Sunday, March 19th. $20 buys you an evening of fun & laughter. Show will be at JR's Comedy Club at Marie Callendars beginning at 9pm and running until about 10:30pm. More details can be found at the website (www.Ewartaid.org )
Stay tuned for your next scheduled update on Tuesday, March 14, 2006.