Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Last weekend, David Ewart was the final family member to be released from the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist as the Ewart’s recover. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
Tonight (Monday) was the Baja Fresh Fundraiser for the Ewarts...the attendance was "fun-nominal"!!! During the first hour we were there (at the location near Barnes & Noble), they served over 200 people! This pace continued for the next several hours! There was a constant flow of friends coming out to support the Ewarts, with lines reaching far outside the doors!! Talk about "hustle" - those folks working at the restaurant were working up a pretty good sweat trying to keep up with all the customers tonight!!! They were probably expecting a "typical" turnout for a fund raising event - and they still probably don't know what hit them!! Did DAVID sit at a table, calmly eating his dinner and casually say "hi" to a few people? NAW! You know him better than that! He was "working the room"! His face was lit up like a Christmas Tree as he embraced each and every person that he possibly could. He was standing, walking and talking most of the night away! We think he's going to sleep pretty well tonight!!! To say the evening was a complete success would be an understatement!!! We want to thank the folks at Baja Fresh for extending this fund raising opportunity to us!! We'd also like to thank Eddie from The Signal for coming out to take pictures of David! We hope to post some pictures on the website in the next day or so. And most importantly, thank you to all of you for showing your support by being there tonight.
* Are you sitting down? This next piece of news requires that you are sitting, because otherwise, you might just fall over! Jay Leno has offered to do a benefit performance for the Ewarts!!!!! Huge thanks to Mary and Dave Berg for their efforts in making this happen!!! We are busily working out the details (i.e. date, location, etc.). As details emerge, we will keep you posted!!! (We have been doing the happy dance all afternoon and we're smiling so much our faces hurt!).
* If you would like to participate in the upcoming Via Escovar block garage sale fund raiser, please contact Deborah Mann at (661) 255-6271, or email her at: Debmann44@aol.com . It is scheduled for Saturday, March 11, 2006 from 7:00am to 11:00am. If you would like to contribute items to be sold...or if you would like to set up a table of your own, that would be great! The more, the merrier! All proceeds will benefit the Ewarts. Now, ladies (and men)...we have seen you shop, so put on your shopping shoes & get ready for some bargains!!
* Tomorrow is the last day to bid on E-Bay items earmarked to benefit the Ewarts: www.simplyzoe.com - purchase any of these items to benefit the Ewarts! Thanks to Zoe for providing this fun way to help our friends. 5081378728, 5081380096, 5081380563, 5081381399, 5081382430, 5081383315, 5081384128, 5081385135...and 5081388227
* Remember, if you'd like to visit David or Michael, you can contact Mary Berg at (661) 259-2877 or e-mail her at email@example.com . She will be happy to schedule you in for a visit. Again, due to the vast amount of doctors appointments and the nature of their injuries, your appointment may at times need to be rescheduled. We all appreciate your understanding in this matter.
*** GENERAL INFORMATION: ***
* SCC Fund Raising - The breads from www.butterbraid.com are amazing!!! . Check out their website at the above address, and remember that the Ewarts will get 40% of the cost! The retail price is $10.00 each. Simply send a note detailing the quantity & flavor of the breads you'd like & send a check ($10 per loaf - no tax) to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, attn: Josy. As soon as we receive payment, we will process your order. Please make checks payable to "SCC Fund Raising". Free delivery to all SCV residents. If you live out of the area, we will advise you of a particular date/location for you to come pick up your order from. If you have a group (i.e. work office, church, temple, scouts, youth group, school, sports team, etc., that would like to sell these items, we will be happy to help you coordinate that effort). Thanks to SCC Fund Raising for this fantastic & unique opportunity!
* If you have items that YOU would like to sell on E-Bay...but you're not sure if they will sell, or you are not sure how to go about putting them up, please contact Zoe at: firstname.lastname@example.org and she will help determine the items' sellability. If the items are small enough, she will even offer to have you ship the items to her & she'll put them on the website for the Ewarts.
* In case anyone would like to have money wired directly into the Ewarts Catastrophe Account, here is the info you will need: Routing Number is: 121000248 (this is considered a "wire"). The account number at Wells Fargo is: 8606-155136, and the name on the account is "David Ewart Catastrophe Fund". To clear up any confusion, the funds in this account are for David AND Michael.
Remember to check the websites... http://www.EwartAid.org
and Jonathan's website: http://email@example.com/
***UPCOMING EVENTS ***
* Wednesday, February 1, 2006 - 7pm-8pm - Celebrity Golf Tournament Planning Meeting at the Blocks home. If you would like to be a part of this committee and you have not received a separate email with directions to our home, please contact us so we can include you on this list.
* Saturday, February 4, 2006 - 10:00am Fundraiser Group Meeting at the Newhall Church of the Nazarene. Patty at SCC Fund Raising has offered to bring the committee some of her delicious butter braids! We have a lot to discuss, so please try to be prompt.
* Tuesday, February, 7, 2006 - The Musicians Union, Local 47 is organizing a Blood Drive at the Local 47 Auditorium from 10am until 5pm. It is located at 815 Vine Street in Hollywood. The Providence Blood Donor Center will provide everything, right down to juice & cookies. And every donor will receive a coupon for a free "pint" of ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Please call (323) 993-3159 to sign up. Walk-ins are available and soon there will be a web site available to sign up electronically.
* Thursday, February 16, 2006 - KHTS AM 1220 will be devoting a 1-hour segment to the Ewart family and a 1-hour segment to the Baker family for us to share updates with the community. Please tune in & support your local hometown radio station, KHTS AM 1220. (10:00am to 12:00pm).
* Saturday, February 25, 2006 - Special Event - To be Announced
* Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - Restaurant Fund Raiser - Details to follow next week.
* Saturday, March 11, 2006 - between 7:00am and 11:00am. Via Escovar Block Garage Sale to benefit the Ewarts. Come stroll around the block and find some treasures!
* Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 8:00pm, Vince Falzone, local musician, will be hosting the "Vince Falzone CD Release Benefit Concert" at the Canyon Theater Guild. Half of all proceeds will be donated to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Tickets are $12 each and may be ordered by calling Lily Qian-Falzone at (661) 803-5594 or emailing her at: firstname.lastname@example.org . (Note: This replaces the event that was previously scheduled for February 25th)
* Sunday, March 19, 2006 Benefit Comedy Show at J.R.'s Comedy Club at Marie Callendars. "G" Rated comedy for the whole family. $20.00 per person - the entire show amount is to be donated to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Dinner (optional) at 5:30 - cost $22 or $29. First Show: 7:00pm to 8:30pm, Late Show: 9:00pm to 10:30pm. To get your tickets, please send a check for $20.00 per person in your party. Checks should be made payable to "David Ewart Catastrophe Fund". Be sure to write the account number in the memo section of your check: 8606-155136. Mail to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, ATTN: Josy
With your check, please include the following information:
* names of all the people in your party
* your preference of early show or late show
* Will you be coming for the 5:30 dinner/show, or just the 7pm show or 9pm show
*Return address for us to mail your tickets to you.
* Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 5:00pm to 7:00pm - Special Event - To be announced
*** COMING SOON ***
* "Where there is Love, there is Hope" Creative Card Contest - Stay tuned for details for an upcoming creative art contest. The winning designs will be used to produce blank printed cards that will be packaged and sold. All proceeds will benefit the Ewarts and winners will receive a wonderful prize! This contest/fund raiser helps tie-in David and his family's love for the arts while also raising money for the family.
*** SPECIAL REQUEST ***
* David, a professional violinist in LA had several violins, bows and a viola in his home on December 20th all of which were lost as a result of the tragic fire. This unfortunate loss included several bows by Sartory, Hill and Nurenberger and a fine Italian violin by Jannarius Gaglianus, made in 1765. Anyone who knows David, knows that the music continues to live in his heart, his soul and his spirit. He can't possibly keep it bottled up inside - his music must be shared with not only the community...but the world. If there is anyone who might have a Jannarius Gaglianus violin in their possession, would they consider letting David use it to share his beautiful music once again? It would be a most amazing blessing if we could help to reunite a masterful violinist with an instrument worthy of his talents.
*** HELP WANTED / ITEMS NEEDED ***
We WISH we could do it all...but the reality is that we need your help to make our events as successful as they can be! The Ewarts bills are going to be astronomical - even with their insurance. We are pleading with the community (local and far away) to please check our "help wanted" ads and step up wherever you can. If you are not comfortable assuming a position on your own...pair up with a friend. We have a long road ahead of us and it is our sincerest hope that you will be there to support this effort all the way through.
* Corporate Liaison - We are looking for someone who would be able to correspond with businesses to solicit goods, services, or gift certificates to be donated to the Silent Auctions for the benefit of the Ewarts.
* Is there a friendly attorney or IRS person out there that could help us file for 501 (c) 3 status (non-profit / charity status)? It sounds like this is a lengthy process with lots of paperwork - we want to make sure all the proper documents are filed on behalf of the Ewarts. This is a little out of our realm of expertise, so any advice would be more than welcome.
* Secondary Storage Facility - Our first storage facility has been maxed out and we still have nearly 20 other furniture pick-ups ready to be scheduled. Is there anyone out there that has a storage facility available? Extra space in a garage? Part of a warehouse? We estimate we will need this facility for 6 months, give or take a little. There are a lot of folks who have so graciously offered to donate some big-ticket items - one person is even storing a brand new (large) bed in her living room until we can get a place to store it. Please, please, please - ask your friends & co-workers!
* We need volunteers for a Silent Auction that will be held in conjunction with the Celebrity Golf Tournament, Gala Event and/or an upcoming Benefit Screening
* Please send us your ideas for different ways to make money for the Ewarts!
* If you have home movies or still pictures from any of the Variety Shows from Wiley Canyon Elementary or Old Orchard Elementary, please contact Patti Sulpizio who will be making a video montage of all of David's years as the Artistic Director. You may contact Patti at (661) 253-1673 or send her an email at: PattiSoul@aol.com
* Please continue to send PICTURES (not only of the Ewarts, but of you, their friends) to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, ATTN: Josy. It is helpful if you include a note detailing the who, what, where, when, how & why of the pictures. Also, please share your STORIES with us of how you know David, how he touched your life, how he made you laugh, etc.