Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
It is with utter giddiness & joy that we share this amazing news with you. We have witnessed another miracle. All visits to the hospital to see David are canceled because he was bugging the doctors & staff so much that they are letting him go home.
DAVID IS SCHEDULED TO BE RELEASED FRIDAY!!!
Once again, the Blocks are doing the HAPPY dance!!! Even the dog is jumping up & down (okay, mostly up)!! C'mon, you know you want to do the Happy Dance, too, so kick off your shoes & wiggle those toes!!!
Tomorrow (Friday) is exactly one month, to the day from the horrible fire - we can't think of anything better than for David to be coming home!!!!
As long as he is feeling well enough, Mary Berg will be picking him up on Sunday morning to take him to Church!!! Of course everyone will be very excited to see David, but we suggest that you not overwhelm him too much! Also, please be patient as the family is requesting no visitors until next week. Please call Mary and she will be happy to schedule a time for you to see David. Please continue to keep the conversations "light" - he is beginning to ask some "simple" questions, but still has not fully encompassed the scope of the fire. As time goes on, he will be able to handle more & more pieces of information - when he is ready.
* We want to thank everyone for helping with the purchasing, laundering & delivering of all the bedding & other items requested for David. Special thanks to: Jonsie Ross, Wendy Parmenter, Lynn Stafford, Sid Page, Dee Jeffries, Patti Paglia, Diane Kaufler, Stephanie Gootman, Carol Gill, Patty LaBat, and Cheryl Strong. Please give these folks a huge round of applause. We appreciate all the time and effort that you are putting forth to help the Ewarts!
MICHAEL is continuing to do better & better. He is very excited that his dad is coming home and the whole family is looking forward to sharing some quality dinner time Friday night. It will be a very happy reunion to say the least.
* When you check out our website, you will notice that we have added a picture of David - this was taken last night at the hospital. When you get to the website (www.EwartAid.org ), simply click on "news", and scroll to the bottom where you will find David, surrounded by beautiful women, smiling proudly. Doesn't he look great?!?!
* As of today, our storage facility is completely full! We couldn't squeeze a dime in it from what I am told. So, now we have a dilemma...we have LOTS more "big ticket" donations that the Ewarts could use...but no place to store them. Can all of you check around and see if maybe someone you know has an extra garage...space in a storage facility...a portion of a warehouse...we may only need this for a few months. Please contact us if you can help!
* Clothing/Household goods - Eventually, David is going to need "everything". Please be patient as the family tries to compile a list of needs. As soon as specific items are known, we will issue a list of the things that are most pressing.
* Special thanks to HART HIGH for coming through again. At their blood drive, they received over 94 units of blood!!! This is outstanding!! We are so grateful to all the wonderful folks who rolled up their sleeves and gave of themselves. Thank you!!
* Remember how last week we told you that the kids at Hart High collected over $8,000??? Well, as of this afternoon, we were told the number is quickly approaching $11,000!!! This is nothing short of phenomenal! What an amazing group of kids, parents and staff!
* Jonathan is working on updating his website, so please check back often for the latest news.
*Friday, January 20, 2006 - James Foster Elementary School will be having a Wisdom Tree Night on January 20, 2006, where 10% of all sales will benefit the Catastrophe Fund. The Wisdom Tree is a night of Native American storytelling, ventriloquism and dance...it's a husband and wife team. Admission is FREE. Doors open at 5:30pm and the show starts at 6:30pm. They set up their "Trading Post" where students can buy silver jewelry, dreamcatchers and other souvenirs.
* TONIGHT - Thursday, January 19 and TOMORROW - Friday, January 20 at 7:00pm at Hart Auditorium - Hart Show Choir "Cabaret" Show. $10/premier seat, $8 for regular seats and $6 for students, children, seniors & all others. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Ewart Family. Contact Gail Hart at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for tickets.
* Sunday, January 22, 2006 - Blood Drive (for the Ewarts and Ryan Baker) and Bone Marrow Registry for Ryan Baker. 1:00pm to 5:00pm. Newhall Church of the Nazarene - 23857 The Old Road, Newhall, CA 91321 (661) 259-5272 - Peggy is the secretary
* Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10am to 12pm - KHTS AM-1220, Santa Clarita's Hometown Station is planning a 2-hour community radio program devoted to the Ewarts. The program will be live from the Westfield Valencia Town Center kiosk.
* Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 7pm-8pm - Celebrity Golf Tournament Planning Meeting at the Block's Home
* Saturday, January 28, 2006 - Free Community Scrapbooking event at Remember When...Scrapbooking, located at 23407 Lyons Avenue in Valencia from 5:00pm to 10:00pm. There are 8 spots available. A Professional Scrapbook Designer/Teacher will be available for consultations if you are new to scrapbooking. Products will be provided for you to work on pages for the Ewart's Scrapbook and/or you can bring your own items. Please BRING PICTURES of the Ewarts.
* Monday, January 30, 2006 - Baja Fresh Fundraiser for the Ewarts. Bring in the attached flyer (if you did not receive the attachment on 1/17, please let us know & we can email you a copy) - 15% of sales will be donated to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund (5pm to 10pm, select stores only - see flier).
* Saturday, February 4, 2006 - 10:00am Fundraiser Group Meeting at the Block's home.
* Tuesday, February, 7, 2006 - The Musicians Union, Local 47 is organizing a Blood Drive at the Local 47 Auditorium from 10am until 5pm. It is located at 815 Vine Street in Hollywood. The Providence Blood Donor Center will provide everything, right down to juice & cookies. And every donor will receive a coupon for a free "pint" of ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Please call (323) 993-3159 to sign up. Walk-ins are available and soon there will be a web site available to sign up electronically.
* Saturday, February 25, 2006 - Vince Falzone's CD Release Party at SCVARTS. Music style is Pop/Rock (similar to John Meyer). The content is fitted for the whole family. This is a family oriented event with no alcohol involved. There will be a live band performing with refreshments, raffle prizes and live radio streaming broadcasting. If you want to hear a sample of Vince's music, you can go to: www.MusicByVince.com . Tickets are $8.00 per person if you pre-purchase, and $10.00 per person at the door. You can pre-purchase tickets by e-mailing: Music@MusicByVince.com with your request and you will receive detailed instructions. 50% of both pre-purchased and door ticket sales will be donated to the Ewarts' fund. CD's are $12 regularly (on the website and retail), but $10 at the show. The website is: http://www.MusicByVince.com . SCV Arts' website is: www.scv-arts.com . They are located at: 27737 Bouquet Canyon Road, #113, Santa Clarita, CA 91350 (in Telly's plaza).
* Sunday, March 19, 2006 Benefit Comedy Show at J.R.'s Comedy Club at Marie Callendars. "G" Rated comedy for the whole family. $20.00 per person - the entire show amount is to be donated to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Dinner (optional) at 5:30 - cost $22 or $29. First Show: 7:00pm to 8:30pm, Late Show: 9:00pm to 10:30pm. To get your tickets, please send a check for $20.00 per person in your party. Checks should be made payable to "David Ewart Catastrophe Fund". Be sure to write the account number in the memo section of your check: 8606-155136. Mail to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, ATTN: Josy
With your check, please include the following information:
* names of all the people in your party
* your preference of early show or late show
* Will you be coming for the 5:30 dinner/show, or just the 7pm show or 9pm show
*Return address for us to mail your tickets to you.
*** HELP WANTED ***
* Secondary Storage Facility - We have had such an overwhelming response for donated furniture that our 10 x 10 facility at Castaic Lake Storage will probably be filled by the end of this week. We still have nearly 20 other pick-ups ready to be scheduled. Is there anyone out there that has a storage facility available? Extra space in a garage? Part of a warehouse? We estimate we will need this facility for 6 months, give or take a little.
* We are looking for a venue (free) for a Benefit Boutique. Many charities have seen much success with their annual boutiques. Vendors will be charged a $30 table fee (all of which will be donated to the Ewarts), plus they will donate 20% of their sales to the fund. We are looking to do this event in the the late spring or early summer. Are there any schools (Old Orchard? Wiley Canyon?) that may be able to offer their multipurpose rooms?
* We would like to begin putting together a team for the Silent Auction that will be held in conjunction with the Celebrity Golf Tournament and/or the Gala Event. If you are interested in helping with this event, please send me an email.
Where there is love, there is hope,