Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
The news just keeps getting better & better...
MICHAEL is doing very well. For the first time, he walked a few steps on his own. He went to the bath today instead of the whirlpool, and his whispers are being backed by a little more air, so his talking sounds almost like a growl. They are aiming for him to be released soon. As a reminder, they do not wish to have visitors this weekend so that IF he is released, he will have an opportunity to get settled in and spend some time with the family. Remember to continue scheduling your visits through Mary Berg at (661) 259-2877 or email her at email@example.com
DAVID is doing phenomenally well. He is scheduled to be released from ICU within the next 48 hours!! Today he started some physical therapy. Because he was on the respirator so much longer than Hugh or Michael, he still has a long road of recovery ahead of him. He actually got to sit up in a chair today. He is awake and alert and is responding well.
We are doing the "happy dance" over here...how about you?
Before we go any further, we just have to pause to say THANK YOU to all the wonderful people in David's life that are pitching in and helping the Ewarts get back on their feet. Many of you realize that once the "novelty" wears off and interest begins to wane, that's when we are REALLY going to need your support & help. We are so grateful to all the folks who have been responding to our "help wanted" and "items wanted" lists. You have been a life-saver in many respects. So although we couldn't possibly name each and every one of you, you are all making a difference, and your efforts, ideas, suggestions, and guidance are going a long, long way.
* The Musicians Union, Local 47 is organizing a Blood Drive, scheduled for Tuesday, February 7 at the Local 47 Auditorium from 10am until 5pm. It is located at 815 Vine Street in Hollywood. The Providence Blood Donor Center will provide everything, right down to juice & cookies. And every donor will receive a coupon for a free "pint" of ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Thanks to Gary Lasley for setting this up.
***** REMINDERS OF UPCOMING EVENTS: ******
* Thursday, January 12, 2006 - Prayer Meeting at 7:00pm at the end of Via Escovar (off or Rotunda Road) at the paseo near David's home. Remember to bundle up & dress warm.
* Friday, January 13, 2006 - Free Community Scrapbooking event at Old Orchard 2 Clubhouse, located at: Avenida Entrana, just off of Lyons Avenue in Valencia. Please contact Linda Cavataio to reserve your spot Lindacavataio@sbcglobal.net
* Thursday, January 19 and Friday, January 20 at 7:00pm at Hart Auditorium - Hart Show Choir "Cabaret" Show. $10/premier seat, $6 for students, children, seniors & all others. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Ewart Family. Tickets may be purchased by Hart Show Choir members, or at the Choir Room from 9am to 1pm on Saturday, January 14, or you can contact Gail Hart at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for tickets.
* Sunday, January 22, 2006 - Blood Drive (for the Ewarts and Ryan Baker) and Bone Marrow Registry for Ryan Baker. Newhall Church of the Nazarene - 23857 The Old Road, Newhall, CA 91321 (661) 259-5272 - Peggy is the secretary
* Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10am to 12pm - KHTS AM-1220, Santa Clarita's Hometown Station is planning a 2-hour community radio program devoted to the Ewarts. The program will be live from the Westfield Valencia Town Center kiosk.
* Saturday, January 28, 2006 - Free Community Scrapbooking event at Remember When...Scrapbooking, located at 23407 Lyons Avenue in Valencia from 5:00pm to 10:00pm. There are 8 spots available. A Professional Scrapbook Designer/Teacher will be available for consultations if you are new to scrapbooking. Products will be provided for you to work on pages for the Ewart's Scrapbook and/or you can bring your own items. Please BRING PICTURES of the Ewarts. A neighbor of the Ewarts has volunteered to bring her scanner to this event, so if you have photos that you don't wish to part with, please bring them & they can be scanned & returned to you right then & there.
* Sunday, March 19, 2006 Benefit Comedy Show at J.R.'s Comedy Club at Marie Callendars. "G" Rated comedy for the whole family. $20.00 per person - the entire show amount is to be donated to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Dinner (optional) at 5:30 - cost $22 or $29. First Show: 7:00pm to 8:30pm, Late Show: 9:00pm to 10:30pm. Please email me if you would like to be added to the interest list. We will contact you when tickets are available.
***** WITH GREAT APPRECIATION *****
We'd like to thank the Lakeshore Jazzercise group for their holiday collection and subsequent donation to the Ewart Family. Thanks, ladies, for your contribution!
The folks at Hart High have come through for us in being able to provide the Auditorium for an upcoming event!!! We are thrilled that we'll have an opportunity to use this venue for a fun event that will be entertaining as well as being able to help the Ewarts.
Thanks to everyone who has been sending pictures! We received some Class pictures of the Ewart kids when they were 2-years old at St. Stephens school - Thanks, Miss Phyllis for sending those in!
Thanks to everyone who is responding to having raffle prizes! We have some really fun stuff coming in for the raffle. As a heads-up, we will be needing items for a Silent Auction several months down the road. We just wanted to "plant the seed" so you can keep the idea in the back of your head for when the time comes.
***** ITEMS NEEDED *****
We need items to be used as raffle prizes at the Comedy Night at J.R.'s on Sunday, March 19th. Please send us an email if you can offer a service, gift certificate, basket or gift to be raffled off with all proceeds going to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund.
Pictures - we need more pictures of the Ewarts to be used for our Scrapbook projects. Please send pictures to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321 Attn: PICTURES. OR, you can bring pictures to either of the planned Scrapbook Events...OR you can email them to this email address: Blocktalk@pacbell.net
Stories - We are hoping to get more stories of how David or the family has touched your life...made you laugh...inspired you...or anything else. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, and it doesn't have to be long - even just a paragraph or a few lines. Just drop us an email - we are hoping to include these stories in a memory book for the family.
Does anyone have a halfway decent picture of David and Michael together? If so, could you please email it to us? (thanks)