Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
MICHAEL is doing great! He is ready for therapy next week, even though he knows it will be painful and tiring. He wanted to start last night without the therapists, as he is growing very tired of laying in bed.
DAVID is much the same. They are still having a difficult time in judging when to remove the ventilator. They will try again today, but it will depend on the swelling and David's alertness. He must be very awake and alert before they can take the tube out. David needs prayer right now for peace and calmness. He has anxiety and needs to be calmer for them to be able to remove the ventilator.
* Hart Baseball - This morning, the Hart Baseball Teams presented Michelle Crawford with a check for $4,000 to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund!!! Additionally, another $400 was raised in a donation jug at the Ewart Table at this morning's Spring Tryouts! Thank you all SO MUCH for your oh-so-generous contributions. They will go a long way in helping the Ewarts get their feet back on the ground.
* Fund Raiser Meeting - The meeting this morning was very productive and we discussed a lot of really great events to plan over the course of the next several months. We talked about some ideas that the schools and/or girl scout/boy scout groups can do (such as Car Washes, Pancake Breakfasts, Hop-A-Thon, Bake Sales, Sees Candies or other Candy Sales, Walk-A-Thon, Bowl-A-thon, etc.) We also discussed some of the bigger events that will be planned for later in the year (Gala Events with Silent Auction baskets, Celebrity Benefit Concert, Theater Performances,etc.). We discussed some community events as well, such as local benefit concerts, dinner-dances utilizing local talent, boutiques, garage sales,etc. One thing that became evident is that we are going to need more help to properly execute all the things we are planning. Please see the "Help Wanted" section below.
* When the kids go back to school on Monday, January 9th, HART HIGH'S ASB will be going around to every classroom (during 3rd period)with donation buckets collecting cash, checks and change for the Ewart family. They will be planning other events over the course of the next several weeks, but this is something they are doing for the 1st day back to school. A huge round of applause for their initiative in this respect!
* Today's (Saturday) Blood Drive - We understand it was a great success - They had 55 people come by and 45 were able to donate. Thank you to everyone who stopped by to donate blood today!!!
* Tomorrow's Update - Just a heads-up that tomorrow's update will go out very late as I will be working all day and well into the night (until 10pm or so). You can always check Jonathan's website for updates...http://firstname.lastname@example.org/ 
*Dennis Dreith of the EOPF noted that while the dollar amount collected by EOPF is impressive, it would not be possible without the tremendous support of the RMA, whose members have donated most generously. We are deeply appreciative of all of your efforts, and the Ewarts are sure to be quite humbled by your sincerity.
*** HELP WANTED***
Each of the volunteer positions noted below will need a corresponding "committee" - if you are able to help in an area, but do not wish to be the "point person", please let us know so we can begin building our teams.
* EVENT PLANNER - Preferably someone with some experience to plan, coordinate and execute various events. This person should be detail oriented and well organized. This person will oversee all aspects of planning from coordinating with the venue to planning the food requirements, and logistics of the event.
* PUBLICIST - We need someone, preferably with experience, to be our liaison with the media. This person will keep a schedule of the planned events, and notify the media to insure the proper and necessary coverage.
* VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR - This position is great for an organized person who can schedule people who are offering to help out the Ewarts in a non-financial capacity. There are many volunteers that can give their time...but not necessarily their money. We need to harness all this energy and reap the benefits in the most positive manner. Some events may need ushers, servers, helpers, etc., and this coordinator will help orchestrate the various needs.
* TALENT COORDINATOR - We have a lot of talented individuals or groups that have offered their services over the course of the next several months (i.e. Jazz Quartet, Singing groups, Instrumentals, etc.), and we need someone to work with these talented members and the Event Planner to plan an event that will best utilize their services & talents.
* RESTAURANT LIASON - This individual will coordinate & schedule with various local restaurants to work out a plan where on a particular night a restaurant would donate a portion of their sales to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund. This person will approach the restaurants, negotiate an amount, schedule the evening with the Scheduling Coordinator and design & print up flyers for individuals to use/redeem for crediting the Ewart Fund.
* SCHEDULING COORDINATOR - This person should be very well organized and will keep a master calendar/schedule of all events. All events will first go through the Scheduling Coordinator to insure that no duplicate events are planned and to avoid conflicts with same-day events.
* DONOR RELATIONS - This person will be responsible for sending THANK YOU notes to each and every donor that we are aware of. Yes, there will still be a number of donors that cannot be acknowledged (i.e. checks sent directly to the bank, or directly deposited), but, for those that we are aware of and for all the Corporate Sponsors, we need to make sure we are thanking everyone appropriately.
* CORPORATE SPONSOR RELATIONS - This person will be responsible for recruiting Corporate Sponsors for Events, promoting the sponsors at the events & follow-up following the events. Some training will be available.
Thank you all for your tremendous support and for keeping us in-tune with all the wonderful things you are doing to benefit the Ewart family. We appreciate all the time & effort you are putting forth and we are happy to share all the information with this amazing network.
Please send an extra prayer for David tonight