Numerous closures involving an I-5 carpool lane improvement and truck lane project were announced by California Department of Transportation officials Monday.
Ramp closures will be nonconsecutive, detours signs will be displayed and closures are subject to change, Caltrans officials said.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts  delivered right to your inbox.
Short- and long-term closures announced by Caltrans:
- Up to two lanes between SR-118 and SR-170 on northbound I-5 will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., with the most lanes closed from 12 to 4 a.m., Monday, March 24, through Friday, March 28
- Up to four lanes between SR-118 and SR-170 on southbound I-5 will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., with the most lanes closed from 12 to 4 a.m., Monday, March 24, through Friday, March 28
- Up to three lanes on northbound I-5 between the end of the existing truck lane and Lyons Avenue will be closed from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., with the most lanes closed from 1 to 4 a.m., Monday, March 24, through Saturday, March 29
- Up to three lanes on southbound I-5 between Lyons Ave. and the end of the existing truck lane will be closed from 9 p.m. to 6.am., with the most lanes closed from 1 to 4 a.m., Monday, March 24, through Saturday, March 29
- The connector between southbound I-5 and northbound SR-14 will be closed from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, March 24, through Saturday, March 29
- The Calgrove Boulevard off-ramp on southbound I-5 will be closed from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, March 24, through Saturday, March 29
- Southbound I-5 between the I-5/SR 170 interchange and Sheldon Street will be closed intermittently from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. through April 2014; detour signs will direct motorists
- The median barrier on I-5 between Van Nuys Boulevard and SR-118 is scheduled to be demolished, causing the two lanes closest to the median in both directions to be closed when this work is underway between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. through June 2014
- Branford Street on-ramp to southbound I-5 will be closed until April 2014
About the Carpool Lane Improvement Project
Caltrans is constructing a carpool lane for 3.4 miles in each direction on I-5 between SR-170 and SR-118, as well as widening four undercrossings, replacing sections of pavement and building a direct carpool connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange, allowing for freeway-to-freeway transfers without leaving the carpool lane, according to a Caltrans news release.
Goals for the project include alleviating congestion, encouraging carpooling, improving air quality and providing a smoother drive for motorists, said Caltrans officials.
The project is part of an effort by Caltrans to provide motorists with a seamless carpool lane network in the state of California, which began August 2010 and is scheduled for completion in late 2014, said Caltrans officials.
About the Truck Lane Improvement Project
The truck lane improvement project is scheduled to widen the freeway and bridges to add a truck lane to the outside of I-5 in both directions by paving the median area and outside shoulder and shifting the mixed-flow lanes inward, according to a Caltrans news release.
The southbound truck lane will extend 3.7 miles from Pico Canyon Road/Lyons Avenue to SR-14, and the northbound truck lane will run 1.4 miles from SR-14 to Gavin Canyon, Caltrans officials said.
Goals for the project include easing traffic delays, improving goods movement, absorbing traffic growth due to population increase and enhancing safety by separating truck traffic from passenger vehicles, according to the news release.
Construction on the project began in May 2012 and is scheduled to be completed in late 2014.
Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, or drop us a line at email@example.com .
Freeway Closures For I-5 Improvement Projects Announced
Article: Freeway Closures For I-5 Improvement Projects Announced 
Source: Santa Clarita News
Author: Melissa Lampert