On Halloween night, the entire family often goes out for trick or treat fun.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts  delivered right to your inbox.
With this in mind, it’s important to keep animals secure, as Halloween can be a frightening and dangerous time for animals, especially for outdoor cats and skittish dogs.
The Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control  has some tips to keep animals safe during Halloween festivities:
- Keep pets indoors in a secure, comfortable area where a radio or television is playing in the background. Many pets fear the noises that trick-or-treaters make.
- Always keep your pet’s license current and be sure that the ID tags are securely affixed a pet’s collar.
- A license tag is the only voice a pet has if he or she becomes lost.
- Do not leave pets outside unattended.
- Loud noises and children in costumes frighten pets and they may panic, become confused, and go through great lengths to escape their enclosures.
- Keep pets away from all candy.
- Chocolate, which contains theobromine, can be poisonous to pets, causing nerve damage and even death.
- Properly dispose of all candy wrappers.
- Foil and cellophane candy wrappers are tempting treats for pets and can cause them to choke or suffer from intestinal blockage.
- Keep pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns away from pets.
- They can easily knock them over, which could result in a painful burn.
- Halloween pet costumes can pose safety hazards for pets.
- Do not dress your pet up unless he or she is used to it. Make sure that your pet’s costume does not restrict his or her movement, vision, hearing, or the ability to breathe or bark.
- Halloween pet costumes should not have small or dangling accessories that can be swallowed by your pet.
Click here  for more information.
Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, or drop us a line at email@example.com .
Halloween Pet Safety Encouraged By Animal Care And Control
Article: Halloween Pet Safety Encouraged By Animal Care And Control 
Source: Santa Clarita News
Author: Mindy Lam