By: Karena Thek Lineback 
Traditionally, scoliosis is managed through observation, bracing and surgery. Scolio-Pilates , Exercise for Scoliosis, A Proactive Guide (Pilates Teck Publications, 2011), aims to add exercise to that list.
Research, published as early as 1924, shows tremendous promise for employing exercise as an option in scoliosis treatment. In 1924, Katharina Schroth, a German physical therapist who dedicated her life’s work to correcting scoliosis with therapeutic exercise, published the first of thirteen reports describing her technique and its efficacy for treating scoliosis. Subsequent to that 1924 printing, the research has continued to flow. Eight-seven years later, in 2011, it seems a bit overdue that we give exercise its merited place in terms of approved practical application in the management of scoliosis.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts  delivered right to your inbox.
What have the studies shown about corrective exercise for scoliosis?
- Curves can be reduced up to 32%
- Pain can be reduced.
- Lung capacity and chest expansion can improve.
- Untreated scoliosis progresses up to 2.9 times more than those in a corrective exercise program.
- Those undergoing a corrective exercise program have 24-48% fewer spine fusions than those who do not.
- Corrective exercise reduces pain post-spinal fusion and stabilizes segments above and below the fusion.
- Exercise can ease the transition from brace-wearing to non-brace-wearing, strengthening the muscles so that the spine will not revert to the previous degree of curvature once the brace is no longer worn.
Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Studies published in peer-reviewed journals supporting exercise have been with us for what is fast approaching ninety years, but exercise has yet to be given serious attention in terms of the conventional management of scoliosis. Scolio-Pilates offers exercise as a viable option in the management of scoliosis.
Scolio-Pilates is available for sale at Pilates Teck or at www.OsteoPilates.com . The book is also available on amazon.