As this year’s Rose Parade approaches, the Pasadena Fire and Police Departments are issuing safety tips for the thousands of overnight campers who line the route on New Year’s Eve.
The parade route will be a safer place if everyone follows the rules and regulations intended for the safety of all parade-goers.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts  delivered right to your inbox.
• A permanent position on the sidewalk may be maintained along the parade route beginning at noon on Dec. 31. The “Blue Line” is the honor line. All persons and property such as blankets, chairs, etc., must remain on the curb until 11 p.m. on Dec. 31. At that time spectators may move out to the honor line.
• Small, professionally manufactured barbeques elevated at least one foot off the ground are allowed on the parade route 25 feet from buildings or other combustibles. A fire extinguisher and water must be readily available.
• Minors under the age of 18 may be on the parade route from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. only if they are under the supervision of adults.
• Dress for cold weather. Children and seniors may need extra layers of clothing to avoid hypothermia.
• Stay hydrated and consume nourishing meals to avoid dehydration.
• Report any suspicious activities and packages to emergency authorities along the parade route.
• In case of emergency call (626) 744-4241 from a cellular phone or 9-1-1 from a landline phone and know the cross streets from which you are calling.
• Open containers of alcohol are illegal on public streets, sidewalks and all other public areas.
• Tents, sofas and boxes of any type that can be used as stools or seats are prohibited are not permitted along the route.
• Unoccupied chairs are not allowed.
• Bonfires are strictly prohibited and considered “illegal burns.”
• Fireworks are prohibited except as part of scheduled official events.
• No items may be sold along the parade route without a permit.
• No public areas (sidewalks, curbs, gutters, streets) may be cordoned or roped off.
• No ladders or scaffolding may be used as elevation for viewing the activities.
• It is illegal to buy, sell or give away horns on the parade route.
• Pets are not recommended along the parade route because they are easily frightened with sudden, loud noises.
• Selling space along the parade route, other than grandstand seating, is illegal.
• Throwing any projectile into the parade, including seemingly harmless items such as tortillas, marshmallows, flowers, etc., is prohibited.
• Vehicles obstructing emergency lanes will be towed.
Caltrans: Freeway ramp closures for parade:
Monday, December 31 through Tuesday, January 1
Ventura Freeway (SR-134)
· 8 p.m. to 2 p.m. – Eastbound Orange Grove Boulevard off-ramp
· 2 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Westbound Orange Grove Boulevard on-ramp
Foothill Freeway (I-210)
· 8 p.m. to 4 p.m. – Eastbound San Gabriel Boulevard off-ramp
· 8 p.m. to 4 p.m. – Westbound Sierra Madre Boulevard off-ramp
Long Beach Freeway (SR- 710)
· 9 p.m. to 11 a.m. – Southbound Del Mar Boulevard off-ramp.
· 6 p.m. to 11 a.m. – Northbound Del Mar Boulevard and California Boulevard on-ramps.
An encroachment permit has been issued for these event-related closures.