There are icons across every walk of life, representing disciplines as varied as the arts and medicine; politics and literature; aviation and architecture.
These exemplars change life for the better, inspire people and community, and serve as role models, setting the bar to which many aspire.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox 
This year, Single Mothers Outreach will honor twelve women who the set the icon standard – whose unique and powerful contributions define excellence in their field, and have life-changing impact in their communities; and seeks 12 artists who will be paired with an honoree to creatively tell their stories in the medium of photography, painting and/or sculpture.
The artists will be judged by a panel of industry experts and the grand prize winner will be announced at the third annual Empowering HeArts Gala Event at College of the Canyons, November 3, 2012. The collection of artists’ work will be featured in a commemorative book describing each woman’s story, and on semi-permanent display locally after the event.
Celebrating Women, Art and Community, Empowering Hearts is the signature fundraiser for Single Mothers Outreach, and provides a place where inspiring woman are in the spotlight, whether she is the girl next door or Oprah Winfrey. It is SMO’s goal that through telling her story, she will further impact and inspire others in similar circumstances. The creative works of local artists will echo the real life stories of women chosen who exemplify this year’s theme.
Artists will be judged on the most compelling visual depiction of the theme and surrounding story, based on the following criteria:
· Effectively Captures Competition Theme
· Story Telling
· Color Harmony
· Technical Excellence/Print Quality
Empowering Hearts comprises three events:
1. Kickoff: September: A media event to introduce the honorees and artists to the Santa Clarita community press, providing an opportunity to meet the sponsors and SMO Board of Directors and the Empowering Hearts Steering Committee
2. Gala Event: November: Honorees, artists, local dignitaries, family, friends, and the greater Santa Clarita community are invited to view the twelve art submissions; guests enjoy cocktails, hors d’oeuvres and music before the evening culminates in the announcement of the grand prize winner.
3. Exhibit Opening and Display: November-December 2012: The art exhibition will move to a public location and will be on display through the holidays, providing the opportunity for the public to view the works, purchase the keepsake book and to learn more about the work of Single Mothers Outreach.
All proceeds from sponsorships, tickets sales and product sales will benefit the programs and services of Single Mothers Outreach, helping the organization to continue its mission organized around the four “Pillars of Success:” Assist, Grow, Sustain and Inspire.
For more information on the Empowering Hearts artist guidelines, and to submit an entry, visit http://images.acswebnetworks.com/1/2144/ArtistGuidelines.pdf . The deadline for artist applications is July 1, 2012.