Providing local job seekers with employment opportunities in an array of industries and career fields, College of the Canyons will present its bi-annual Job, Career and Intern Fair this spring, scheduled for both of the college’s campuses.
Not just for college students or people who attend COC, the event is free and open to the public, offering middle and upper level employment opportunities, in addition to entry level jobs. Fair organizers will also provide information about paid internships.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox 
Those planning to attend the Job Fair are encouraged to research the companies that will be in attendance, dress to make a good first impression and bring plenty of resumes to leave with job recruiters.
“Our goal for this job fair is to bring employers and job seekers together, to exchange information regarding what opportunities are available, and how to best apply for them,” said Anthony Michaelides, director of Career Services at the college. “It is the job seeker’s responsibility to be prepared with questions and to have done their research on the companies in attendance. It’s also a good idea for attendees to apply online to companies of interest before attending the fair.
“However, attendees will only have one chance to make a good first impression in person,” Michaelides said, “something that cannot be done online.”
As an additional service, event organizers have scheduled a series of 50-minute workshops with tips, techniques and information for job seekers. Scheduled workshops at the two events will include:
- “Get Connected through LinkedIn for Networking and Job Search,” taught by Stuart Fried, Career Specialist.
- “Paint Your Career Green: Find a Green Job Without Starting Over,” taught by Michele Lobl, author of a book by the same name.
- “Resumes and the Job Search,” taught by Anne-Marie Dieters, Program Advisor for the UCLA Extension Paralegal Training Program.
The COC Career Center will also be hosting a workshop on “How to Prepare for the Job Fair” from noon to 1 p.m. and 6 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 11, in the college’s Valencia campus Student Center, Room PDR-3. This is also free and open to the public.
The Job, Career and Intern Fairs will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday, April 18 at the Valencia Campus and Tuesday, May 1 at the Canyon Country campus.
Attendees might want to arrive early, because according to Michaelides, the parking lot is usually packed with job seekers, as 1,000 people generally show up for each fair. Parking is free of charge during the hours of the fair.
Employers currently registered to participate include:
- Applied Resource Insurance Solutions
- Balboa Water Group
- Ball CM, Inc.
- Big 5 Sporting Goods
- Bo Donaldson
- Cardinal Health
- College of the Canyons - Career Services
- College of the Canyons - Human Resources
- College of the Canyons - Internships (CWEE)
- Event Imaging Solutions a Kodak Company
- Farmers Insurance
- Gymnastics Unlimited
- Hypercel Corporation
- Imber Court Reporters, Inc.
- J&M Entertainment
- Julio Lemos Insurance
- JumpBunch Valencia
- Los Angeles County Fire Department
- Los Angeles Fire Department
- Los Angeles Police Department
- Navy Recruiting District Los Angeles
- Panda Express
- Personnel Plus
- Princess Cruises
- Quest Diagnostics Incorporated
- Realty Executives
- Santa Clarita US Army Recruiting Center
- Santa Clarita Valley Family YMCA
- Santa Clarita WorkSource Center
- Santa Clarita WorkSource Center - Enterprise Zone
- Sears Marketing Center
- Simi Valley Hospital
- Square One Staffing
- Study Group
- The Los Angeles Daily News
- U. S. Marines
- Volt Workforce Solutions
For more information about the Job, Career & Intern Fair visit www.canyons.edu/CareerCenter  or call (661) 362-3286.