Spring is in the air, a time for spring cleaning, flowers to bloom and romance to blossom! Is your bedroom worthy of some blossoming romance?
Well, now is the time to survey your current bedroom set-up and take some of the necessary steps below to create a boudoir with some sex appeal. Depending on your budget, you can change a little or a lot, and reap the rewards with raised temperatures between your crisp new sheets! Read more in today's article "6 Steps To A Sexy Bedroom".
1. Can The Can Lights: Overheard lighting is notoriously unflattering. There's nothing sexy about a well-lit room. You want shadows, highlights and the soft glow of filtered light. Place a pair of lamps with ivory shades on each side of your bed, and make sure the bulbs are no more than 60 watts.
For even more impact, replace the white bulbs with pink tinted bulbs. Everybody looks good in this light -- the only thing more flattering is candlelight, and pink light bulbs don't pose a fire hazard.
2. Clean up your act: Get rid of all the junk that accumulates in your bedroom. Don't use it as a dumping ground for kids' art projects, laundry, newspapers and magazines. No one feels sexy going to bed in a warehouse. First get everything up off the floor, store the things that warrant it and trash the things that don't. Clear of the surfaces of chests and tables, and only replace what is meaningful or pretty.
You don't want to see anything that reminds you of chores or obligations. Everything your eye lands on should make you feel relaxed and confident.
3. Scents and Sensibility: Take the same approach to smell that you took to sight. Get rid of anything that doesn't smell great. Remove the laundry hamper to a bathroom or closet. Evict the dog, just for one night. And make up your bed with the sheets folded back invitingly, the way they do in fine hotels. Choose a scented candle with care. One that's too floral will be off-putting to a man. A better bet is one that smells fresh and clean, like Jo Malone's Grapefruit candle. The flicker of candlelight will enhance your sexy lighting scheme.
4. Reflections: Add a mirror somewhere. It doesn't have to be attached to the ceiling, but a cleverly positioned mirror, or even a mirrored piece of furniture, can really spice things up. It will add glimmer and shine, both sexy qualities. Plus, you might discreetly catch of a glimpse of the proceedings.
5. Ban the Beanie Babies: The bedroom is your own private sanctuary, but beware what message you're sending by using it as a display case for your hobbies. Stuffed animals are a no-no, as are too many tiny pillows. What looks good in a bedding store just looks fussy and high-maintenance at home -- not the message you're trying to send.
6. Soundtrack: The "Law & Order" theme song is not sexy music. Turn off the television! Better yet, banish it from the bedroom. The bedroom should be for two things only: sleep and sex. Install a small stereo in your bedroom and play your favorite music -- it's a great mood enhancer.
Tami Smight Interiors,  a full-service interior design firm, has been gracing southern California homes with warm, accessible designs since 2004.