Castaic Lake Water Agency
27234 Bouquet Canyon Road
Santa Clarita, California 91350
Phone (661) 297-1600
During the hot and dry summer months, Santa Clarita must carefully manage limited water supplies. Castaic Lake Water Agency is asking Santa Clarita the rethink their water consumption and to reduce water usage by 10 percent. Castaic Lake Water Agency suggests 10 easy ways to reduce consumption.
- Adjust your sprinklers. Try taking a day off the timer, preferably the same day the lawn is mowed, and watch the health of your yard improve.
- Check your system. Do a weekly check for broken or clogged sprinkler heads and replace them right away.
- Do you see water runoff from your yard each time you water? It could mean the lawn needs aeration.
- Fix those leaks. A dripping leak wastes over 10,000 gallons per month. A leaking flapper on a toilet also increases flows at the water treatment plant.
- Plant drought-tolerant plants.
- Use a broom instead of a hose. Sweeping up rather than hosing off leaves or grass clippings not only saves water, but putting them into a green yard waste recycling container saves landfill space as well.
- Get an adjustable hose nozzle with a shutoff feature for outdoor use. That way you can adjust the spray to meet your needs. Five minutes of an open hose running is the same as a twenty-minute shower.
- Take shorter showers. Cutting 2 minutes off your shower time can save 600 gallons a month for a family of four.
- Turn off the water while you brush your teeth.
- Try washing with only full loads. Waiting until you have a full load versus washing many smaller loads can save you up to 20 gallons for the same amount of clothes.
- Create an awareness of the need for water conservation among your children
With these tips you can more water conscious, and by encouraging your friends and neighbors to follow these tips you will help make this a more water conscious community. Try to do one thing a day that saves water.
Remember, every drop counts. And every person can make a difference!