By Dr. Kelly Herta, DC
It's two weeks before Christmas and you're running around trying to finish Holiday shopping with even less money to spend than last year? Well it's time to sit back and take a breather. Added stress during the holidays can lead to ill health past the New Year. Many people spend so much time stressing out during the holidays they stop taking care of themselves. They stop exercising, miss scheduled doctor's appointments and let stress run their lives. This negative stress can lead to increased muscle tension, increased blood pressure, stomach problems, depression, and back pain. Remember, it's just as important to take care of yourself during the holidays as it is to get the perfect presents for your family.
Here are some helpful tips to help you get through the holidays with less stress this season:
- Don't change your daily exercise routine during the holidays. Exercise relieves stress.
- Incorporate stretching into your routine, which helps to relieve muscle tension.
- Get organized: write out who is on your gift list, as well as the maximum price you wish to spend per person.
- Park as far away as possible at the mall. This will cut out the stress of fighting for a parking spot and will allow you to get extra exercise.
- Take 2-5 minutes to collect and reprioritize your thoughts.
- Don't miss scheduled doctor's appointments.
- Visit you chiropractor to Re-Align your spine. Chiropractic not only relieves muscle tension, it helps to alleviate back pain and helps to improve nervous system function leading to an increased immune system.
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Plan your meals. Avoid junk food and drink plenty of water.
- Sleep- Go to bed at a reasonable hour. Slow down and enjoy your leisure time.
As the holidays approach we all tend to think of the stress that we felt last year as we prepare for the impending holidays. This year think of the holidays with a different perspective. Think Positive. Relax. They only come but once a year and they come and go so fast. Remember to not take for granted the time you get to spend with your family. After all, this is what the holidays are all about. So, enjoy every minute of it.
For more information, Dr. Kelly Herta, DC at Aligned Health Chiropractic & Wellness Center. 27875 Smyth Dr. # 100, (661)295-5200.