Wednesday is the day most Americans dread – Tax Filing Day – and this year is no different.
Midnight April 15 is the deadline for filing tax returns, whether taxpayers are getting a refund or writing a check. If you have not filed your taxes electronically (a majority of people do), you need to drop those returns into a mailbox near you before the clock strikes twelve – if you haven’t already.
Here’s where to find your local post office:
- Santa Clarita Main – 24355 Creekside Road, Valencia. Hours 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Valencia – 25842 ½ Tournament Road. Hours 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Newhall/Lyons – 23642 Lyons Avenue. 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Newhall/Stevenson Ranch – 24201 The Old Road. Hours 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Saugus (inside Saugus Drugs) – 27641 Bouquet Canyon Road. Hours 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Canyon Country – 18336 Soledad Canyon Road. Hours 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Castaic – 28201 Franklin Parkway. Hours 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
“Unfortunately we have nothing in Santa Clarita proper,” said Richard Maher, USPS spokesperson. “We’ve cut back because the demand has decreased. Last year, 60 percent of all returns were e-filed and it costs us so much to extend the hours, with very little revenue.”
Maher said the closest post office is the Van Nuys distribution center, located at 15701 Sherman Way in Van Nuys (just off the 405 freeway).
Taxpayers who cannot meet the deadline can get an automatic six-month extension from the IRS, but the correct forms must be filed by midnight Wednesday. For details and information on other options for taxpayers, visit the IRS website at www.irs.gov .