Halloween Can Be More Scary Than You Think
By Rosemary Murphy, LE
It will soon be that time of year when all the little ghosts and goblins (and some big ones too) call upon us for treats or tricks. The biggest fear that we should have, however, may be in the products we are using on ourselves and our children. Heavy, greasy Halloween make-up can cause all kinds of problems on sensitive and, sometimes normal, skin. Remember when you are putting the make-up on you may be clogging your pores for an extended period of time, and that making sure you remove all traces of the stuff is very important.
If you are prone to acne, be aware that many of the ingredients in these products can cause a serious break-out. If you, or your child, are suffering from any diseases or disorders of the skin, you probably want to avoid use of all Halloween make-up.
I might suggest that you try using Mineral Make-Up this year. Made from all natural ingredients, especially minerals found in the earth, it will not cause any reactions on any type of skin. It is safe enough for children too. If you think the investment is too much, you might want to consider switching to mineral make-up for yourself for every day and let the kids borrow some for their costumes.
The following is a list of some ingredients found in Halloween Make-Up for Adults and Children. While most people may not have any serious side-effects from their use, it would make good sense to avoid exposing young children, those who are especially sensitive to cosmetic ingredients, or anyone suffering from cancer or other diseases. The sampling of products came from random purchases at various Santa Clarita retailers. All have been approved by the FDA and CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review).
- Petrolatum-can cause allergic skin reactions in the hypersensitive.
- Ceresin-(Cera Microcristallina)-may cause allergic reactions.
- Stearic Acid-possible sensitizer for people with allergies.
- Talc-(French Chalk)-prolonged inhalation can cause lung problems because it is similar in composition to asbestos, a known lung irritant and cancer causing ingredient.
- Cetyl Alcohol-low toxicity for both skin and ingestion and is sometimes used as a laxative. Can cause hives.
- Triethanolamine-should not exceed 5% and be used only in “rinse off” products. Should not be used with “nitrosating agents” (the introduction of a nitrogen and oxen molecule that may cause the compound to form cancer-linked nitrosamines).
- DMDM Hydantoin-causes cancer when given orally or injected into the abdomens of rats at high doses.
- PEG 8-(Oleic Acid)-low oral toxicity and mildly irritating to the skin.
- PVP-(Polyvinylpyrrolidone)-Ingestion may produce gas and fecal impaction or damage to lungs and kidneys. It may last in the system for months to a year.
Warnings on Packaging:
- Avoid Eye Contact. If it occurs, flush immediately with water.
- Keep Out of Reach of Children!!!!
- Keep Fake Blood, Pink, Lavender, Red Make-Up and Glitter Gel Away from Eye Area.
- Keep Blue and Green Make-Up Away from Lip Area.
For more information, please contact Rosemary at Beyond Harmony Day Spa at (661) 298-8008.