Actors Sought For New Beach Musical At COC
For the third consecutive year, the COC theatre department, in partnership with the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center (PAC) at College of the Canyons, will provide students with the opportunity to participate in the West Coast premiere of a musical production by hosting open auditions for the 1960s-inspired pop musical “GO-GO Beach.”
A coming-of-age fable about a surfer who gets into love trouble and the flower child who helps him get back in touch with the waves and find the true meaning of love, “GO-GO Beach” follows in the style of the wildly popular beach party movies of the 1960s.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox
Being featured as part of this year’s Festival of New American Musicals, “GO-GO Beach” was written by author John Wimbs (book and lyrics) with music by Michael Shaieb and Brent Lord.
Running throughout the spring and summer months, the Festival of New American Musicals celebrates the return of the American musical by showcasing full productions, staged readings, concerts, master classes and other performance-based events in conjunction with performance arts organizations in cities across Southern California.
With an original score inspired by the “surf sound, girl groups and swinging go-go music” of the era, “GO-GO Beach” is described by COC theatre instructor Andrea Slominski as “the ultimate summer show” and “a fun, frolicking foray back to the 1960s.”
“From the hunky surfers and the beautiful beach babes to the free-spirited hippies, and even a loveable science geek, ‘GO-GO Beach’ has all the Southern California-inspired characters that audiences will know and love,” added Slominski, who is also directing the production.
“GO-GO Beach” co-producers Paul Wickline, chair of the COC theatre department, and Adam Philipson, PAC managing director, will be looking to cast 11 major roles, along with at least 20 male and female actors, ages 17-25 to form a large ensemble of ‘beach bums,’ ‘beach bunnies’ and hippies. A full cast breakdown of “GO-GO Beach” is listed below:
· Woody — 17 to 20 years old (looking for a male actor with vocal range), an all-American golden boy who was born to surf.
· J.J — 17 to 20 years old (looking for a female actor with vocal range), Woody’s all-American girlfriend.
· Mindy — 20 to 25 year old female, struggling as an un-happy teen pop star.
· Bulldog — 19 to 22 years old (looking for a female with vocal range), a tomboyish surfer girl who is transformed into a wide-eyed flower child after a trip to San Francisco.
· Fingers — 17 to 20 years old (looking for a male with vocal range), Woody’s best buddy.
· Rip — 17 to 20 years old (looking for a male with vocal range), an all-American, dim-witted affable hunk.
· Einstein — 17 to 20 (looking for a male with vocal range), a stereotypical science geek.
· Baby — 17 to 20 (looking for a female with vocal range), kooky, naïve, innocent, and prone to laughter
· Kitten — 17 to 20 (looking for a female with vocal range), lead dancer, self-confident stereotypical beach bunny.
· Honey — 17 to 20 (looking for a female with vocal range), a bookish wallflower type.
· Sammy Leech — mid-30s to 40s (male or female with a vocal range), this “B” movie producer is the type of soft villain that audiences will love to hate.
“We are thrilled to be producing the West Coast premiere of this quintessential 1960s beach musical,” said Wickline. “The score is great fun, the book is clever and often very funny, and best of all, this musical offers many fun roles for actors in their teens and twenties.
“I hope to see a large group of actors, singers and dancers at the auditions,” added Wickline. “Come out and have a blast with us!”
Auditions for “GO-GO Beach” will be held at noon, Saturday, June 2, and 7 p.m., Monday June 4, in the PAC Black Box Theater, located on the college’s Valencia Campus.
Performers are asked to prepare 16 to 32 bars (one to two minutes) of a song from a musical production, or a 1960s song with sheet music. An accompanist will be provided. Music in CD form will not be accepted.
Actors will do cold readings from the script and sing songs from the production. Performers will also be asked to perform a series of simple movements and dance steps during the audition, and are reminded to please dress appropriately.
Callback auditions will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 5. All selected cast members will need to register for at least 1.5 units in the college’s summer session course Theatre 193: Summer Theatre Workshop.
Rehearsals will take place from 7 to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and noon to 3 p.m. on Saturdays, beginning the week of June 11. Performances of “GO-GO Beach” are scheduled to take place July 26-28, in the PAC Black Box Theatre.
For more information about auditions for “GO-GO Beach” or the course Theatre 193: Summer Theatre Workshop please visit www.canyons.edu/departments/THEATRE/ or contact Paul Wickline at (661) 362-3152. For more information about the Festival of New American Musicals please visit www.lafestival.org.