Academy Of The Canyons Accepting Applications For Fall Admission
Informational meetings have been scheduled for parents of students interested in applying for Academy of the Canyons, the middle college high school administered by the Hart District.
The tuition-free combination of high school and college offers unique opportunities to students who qualify for the program.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox
Meetings are scheduled:
Wednesday, Feb. 29, 7 p.m. Hart High Cafeteria
Wednesday, March 7, 7 p.m. Placerita Junior High MPR
Thursday, March 8, 7 p.m. Valencia High School MPR
Academy of the Canyons empowers high school students by providing them with educational choices in a mature learning environment.
AOC offers students with college potential the opportunity to complete their high school requirements while taking college level courses on the campus of College of the Canyons. In this unique educational environment, students have an opportunity to stimulate their academic development and enhance their quest for learning.
Academy of the Canyons offers:
- A serious learning environment where students take control of their own learning
- An opportunity for exploring individual interests through more diversified course offerings while also completing the requirements for high school graduation
- An environment where students have greater opportunities for guidance and improvement and:
- An opportunity to earn high school and college credits concurrently.
AOC is located on the Valencia campus of College of the Canyons. AOC students may:
- Access COC library, computer labs, gym facilities, and the tutorial, counseling and career centers.
- Interact with a mature peer group.
- Learn in a more flexible environment.
- Develop successful skills for ongoing college study.
Profile of Academy of the Canyons Students
- AOC students must demonstrate a sincere interest in completing high school and going on to college/post secondary education. The Academy of the Canyons student:
- Shows potential for succeeding in college
- May have a discrepancy between standardized test scores and grades; .
- Shows adequate social adjustment within the high school, but may be disaffected in the high school environment.
- May be creative, artistic, and/or individualistic.
Student Responsibilities - While at Academy of the Canyons, students will:
- Complete four high school courses and 6-11 college units per semester.
- Follow an adapted academic calendar.
- Maintain excellent attendance in both high school and college classes.
- Follow a demanding academic schedule.
- Take advantage of COC support services.
- Fulfill all course and high school graduation requirements.
- Be responsible, both academically and socially.
- Adhere to all applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Complete COC Counseling 111 during the first year.
High School Course Offerings include English, social studies, math, science, advisement and electives such as video production, yearbook, ASB, CAP, human rights, virtual enterprise, 20th Century Wars, California history, and others.
To enroll as students at AOC, they must:
- Be on track for high school graduation.
- Attend a parent/student information meeting.
- Submit AOC Enrollment Form.
- Submit Counselor Recommendation.
- Submit English Teacher Recommendation.
- Complete College of the Canyons admission process.
- Commit to no less than one full year at AOC.
NOTE: Completing the above criteria does not guarantee admission to Academy of the Canyons Middle College High School. For more information, visit their website here or call (661) 362-3056.