Top Ten Back Care Tips
By Dr. Carolyn A. Griffin, D.C.:
1. Avoid sudden twists or turns of movement beyond normal limits of motion, especially of the neck.
2. Avoid bending or stooping sharply to pick up objects; rather, bend your knees to minimize the strain on your lower back.
3. When lifting, keep your back straight; bend your knees and let your legs bear the strain. Hold the object lifted as close to your body as possible.
4. Watch your posture at all times; stand tall, sleep tall, and THINK tall!
Click here to sign up for our weekly Health And Beauty newsletter!
5. Cross your legs only at the ankles, not the knees. Crossing your legs at the knees could aggravate an existing back condition as well as interfere with the circulation to the lower limbs.
6. Sleep on a firm mattress, preferably one which is neither too hard nor too soft, but just firm enough to hold your body level while at the same time soft enough so that your shoulders, buttocks, etc., will depress into the mattress.
7. Sleep on your back or on your side with your legs flexed slightly, not drawn up tightly. Avoid sleeping on your stomach. Raise your head off the pillow when changing positions.
8. Rise from your bed by turning on your side and swinging your legs off the bed, and then push yourself into a sitting position with your arms, thus minimizing the amount of strain on your neck and back.
9. Do not read or watch TV in bed, particularly with your head propped at a sharp or stained angle.
10. Be sure to get plenty of sleep to allow your body to recuperate and repair.
For more information on Back to Health Chiropractic Center click here.
Soledad Canyon Road, Suite A
Canyon Country, CA 91351
Or call (661)-250-1517
To read our other Health and Beauty articles, click here.