40.5 Ways To Stay Sane During "Carmageddon"
For those of you looking to escape the traffic nightmare that will close in on Los Angeles this weekend, here is a list detailing the many activities Santa Clarita residents can engage in without nearing the 405 freeway. Enjoy!
1. Bring your picnic baskets to the free Concerts in the Park series this Saturday to enjoy live music at Central Park beginning 7 p.m. Steve Baldwin will be performing this weekend
2. Get your dose of Shakespeare at the Summer Theatre Festival at Towsley Canyon from 7:30 - 9:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday with a free performance of Shakespeare’s comedy “As You Like It,” set in 1960’s California
3. Get in the world cup spirit and cheer on the Santa Clarita Blue Heat women’s soccer team as they face off against the Pali Blues from 7-10 p.m. on Sunday at Canyon High School
4. Meet at the front parking lot of Towsley Canyon for a bird watching walk this Saturday from 8:00 -10:00 a.m
5. Avoid the roadways altogether and take a hike at the Placerita Nature Center
6. Don’t let the 405 closure put you on tilt. Visit the Triumph Foundation Let’em Roll Casino Night starting at 6:30 p.m. at the Valencia Hyatt
7. Print out all of those digital pictures you have in your computer and put them into photo albums
8. Attend a free landscape education class -- Design Strategies for SCV Landscapes from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. this Saturday at the Castaic Lake Water Agency on the hill above Central Park
9. Make a list of the friends you’ve been meaning to call and catch up with them this weekend
10. Hear some groovy tunes at the free Jazz and Blues Concerts Series from 7-9:30 p.m. this Friday at Town Center Drive. The Delgado Brothers will be headlining the event
11. Visit your favorite restaurant in Santa Clarita and treat yourself and your family to a night out
12. Watch the 2011 FIFA World Cup Final on Sunday at 2 p.m. and, if the United States is playing, cheer on a sports team that isn’t in a lockout
13. Stop by CareerCampSCV being held from 9 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. at the Dianne G. Van Hook University Center at College of the Canyons to find out how to build the career you deserve
14. Celebrate the best of the 2010-2011 Season of the Canyon Theatre Guild at the annual Goldie Awards
15. Visit the Mulholland Drive Bridge demolition project to see if the traffic is as bad as they say it is (just kidding)
16. Mourn the end of the Harry Potter book/movie saga and write J.K Rowling a letter begging her to write another book
17. Have a traffic themed house party and invite all of your in-town friends
18. Rent all six of the Star Wars movies and marathon them in one sitting with a group of friends (13.23 hours to be exact)
19. Search for a recipe to make something you have never tried and cook it for you and your friends
20. Start a weekly blog to write down your thoughts and share them with other people you know
21. Organize a hot dog eating contest
22. Make a solar-cooker and use it to cook s’mores and hotdogs
23. Find someone with a boat and go wakeboarding or waterskiing at Castaic Lake
24. Create an emergency action plan for a zombie apocalypse and go over it with your loved ones to ensure their survival.
25. Adopt a dog or cat from the Castaic Shelter.
26. Call a member of your family that you haven’t heard from in a while.
27. See if it really is hot enough to cook an egg on the sidewalk
28. Listen to every Beatles song ever released
29. Practice your Pig Latin on people you meet at the mall
30. Find a place to go horseback riding and then try it out
31. Research geocaching sites and visit the local ones without using a car
32. Practice Rock Band until you can play one song on expert
33. Start a real rock band
34. Go to Mountasia and play laser tag
35. Try to complete the Chipotle Challenge (Eat 3 full Chipotle burritos in 25 minutes)
36. Take your dog for a walk on the 5-mile-loop at Towsley Canyon
37. Organize a massive water balloon fight on your street and invite all of the neighbors
38. Defrag all of the computers in your house while watching the Harry Potter movies.
39. Create the blueprints for your own underwater lair
40. Buy an ice-cream maker and create your own flavor
40.5 Stay home and away from the 405!