County To Hold Free Property Tax Seminars
The County of Los Angeles is sponsoring a series of free seminars during July, August, September, October, November and December 2011, to assist property owners who feel their taxes should be lowered due to a decline in the value of their property.
The 90 - minute seminars will be offered six times at various locations: Culver City, El Monte, Glendale, Lakewood, Lancaster and Van Nuys. Additional meetings will be scheduled throughout the County on a year-round basis.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox
The meetings are intended to help taxpayers better understand the assessment appeals process, which many find confusing. The seminars will be of value to homeowners who are interested in learning about the assessment appeals process and to those who have already filed an appeal. The seminars will cover taxpayers appeal rights and when to file an application for reduction in assessment. The seminars will also cover how to prepare for a hearing, what qualifies as admissible evidence, what will happen at the hearing and what to expect after the hearing.
The dates, time and locations of the sessions are:
· July 14, 10 a.m. Culver City - Public Library, 4975 Overland Ave., Free parking behind the library
· August 15, 10 a.m. Glendale - Public Library, 222 E. Harvard St., The library will validate three hours parking at the corner of Maryland and Harvard.
· September 28, 10 a.m. Lancaster – Public Library, 601 W. Lancaster Blvd., Free parking.
· October 6, 10 a.m. Lakewood – Angela M. Iacoboni Library, 4990 Clark Ave., Parking at corner of Clark Avenue and Del Amo Boulevard.
· November 2, 2 p.m. Van Nuys – Bernardi Senior Center, 6514 Sylmar Ave., Free parking, entrance on Hamlin Street.
· December 8, 10 a.m. El Monte - Jack Crippen Senior Center, Crafts Room, 3120 N. Tyler Ave., Free parking
Persons with disabilities who believe they need reasonable accommodation or help in order to attend a seminar may call (213) 974-7953. Hearing-impaired persons with TDD equipment may leave a typewritten message by calling (800) 735-2929 (TDD). Schedules for meetings may be obtained by calling (213) 974-7953 or on the Internet at https//lacaab.lacounty.gov/PubEdProg.aspx