COC To Host Annual Women's Conference In April
With a theme of personal reflection and a goal to inspire women of all ages to make a difference both in their life and in the community, College of the Canyons will host the 2011 Women’s Conference on April 9, presented by Boston Scientific, Valencia – Neuromodulation.
“We believe this event will include something inspiring for every woman who attends,” said Deborah Rio, the college’s dean of enrollment services and chair of the conference. “The conference committee is very excited about this event, and we look forward to interacting with other women in our community on a day that promises to be uplifting, informative, inspirational and fun.”
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox
Titled “Real Women, Making Real Change,” the conference will provide a variety of interactive breakout sessions designed to help attendees explore the various life stages of the “journey” a successful woman takes.
Highlighting the event will be a keynote presentation from Lisa Shannon, author of the book “A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to be a Woman” and founder of Run for Congo Women, a global effort to raise awareness and support for the women of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Throughout the day attendees will also have opportunities to interact with some of the most dynamic women in the region. The panel of invited speakers and guests includes a wide representation of women who personify the conference’s six strands pertaining to the roles of women in government; education; business; science and medicine; community service; and family.
The partial list of breakout session speakers includes:
- Natalie Buriel, COC Sociology Department
- Kelly Cude, Ph.D, COC Biology Department
- Laurie Ender, Councilmember, City of Santa Clarita
- Sharon Eyrich, COC Early Childhood Education Department
- Tina Haddad, Assistant to City of Santa Clarita City Manager Ken Pulskamp
- Dr. Reshma Kewalramani, Amgen
- Dr. Courtney Lane, Ph.D., Boston Scientific
- Victoria Leonard, COC Communications Studies Department
- Lindsey Mask, Communications Director for Congressman Howard "Buck" McKeon
- Diane McGrory, SCV PTA Council President
- Dr. Jamie Miles, Kaiser Pain Management
- Rosalind Wayman, Field Deputy for Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich,
- Michelle Witkin, Clinical Psychologist
The 2011 Women’s Conference will take place from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, April 9, on the college’s Valencia campus. The conference’s keynote address will take place in the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center (PAC).
Admission to the Women’s Conference is $49 to attend the full conference (breakout sessions, light brunch and keynote speaker) or $24 to attend the keynote speaker portion of the event only.
For more information about the 2011 Women’s Conference, keynote speaker Lisa Shannon and the lineup of featured events and participants, or to purchase tickets please visit www.canyons.edu/offices/WC/.