Santa Clarita Artists' Annual Art Classic Gala
The Santa Clarita Artists' Association (SCAA) will host their 21st Annual Art Classic gala event from 1 to 5 p.m. on October 17 at the Hart Hall in Newhall. There will be a free public viewing from 1-5 p.m. on Oct 16 for those who cannot attend the gala.
"Over 150 art pieces from the 140 SCAA members will be judged and awarded on Sunday. Wine and hors d' oeuvres will be served with live music entertainment.” says Zony Gordon, SCAA Vice President.
Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox.
At the event on Sunday, the audience will vote for People's Choice awards and have an opportunity to bid on a silent auction.
"People rave about the silent auction, because they can acquire original prime art at rock bottom prices." says Olga Kaczmar, SCAA President.
The art judges will include:
- Portrait artists Aaron Westerberg. Westerberg taught at the California Art Institute and at the Los Angeles Figurative Academy. National recognition includes: the cover of Strokes of Genius: The Best of Drawing, Southwest Art’s annual roster of “Twenty-One under Thirty-One” and American Art Collector magazine. He was named one of the best 24 artists under 40 by Artist Magazine.
- Watercolor master Brenda Swenson. Swenson is the artist author of two books, Keeping a Watercolor Sketchbook (Award of Excellence Finalist) and Steps to Success in Watercolor. Her paintings and sketches have been featured in Splash 11, Artistic Touch 4, Watercolor Magazine, Watercolor Highlights, Quarterly Magazine, Wheels of Time and numerous other publications. Swenson has been awarded signature membership in WW and NWWS and has won numerous awards for her paintings. She has served on the board of directors for the National Watercolor Society and Watercolor West and is in demand to demonstrate and teach her painting and sketching techniques to groups nationwide and abroad.
- Wildlife artists Marty Katon. Katon has earned many awards and first place ribbons in his 35 years of oil painting. Many Native American nations and Wild Animal Rescue organizations own his paintings.
Entertainment at the gala will include:
- Manak Khamvongsa, guitar teacher and performer originally from Thailand. Manak's repertoire includes traditional classical Spanish guitar, jazz arrangements and original compositions.
- Scott Mitchell, San Fernando based woodwinds instructor and performing musician. He is member of the Ventura Jazz Orchestra and many professional bands in Los Angeles. His musical styles include jazz, bossa nova, classical and rock.
Ticket are $25 in advance or $30 at the door. For more information and to purchase tickets go to santaclaritaartists.org or call (661) 244-7689.