Seniors To Benefit From LA Foodbank Kits At Center
Seniors in the area will be able to receive monthly free food kits thanks to a partnership between the Santa Clarita Valley Food Pantry and the Los Angeles Regional Foodbank. From 1 to 3 p.m. Thursday, kits will be distributed at the SCV Senior Center to seniors age 60 and older who register for the program.
According to Belinda Crawford, Executive Director of the Food Pantry, the food kits are part of the Commodity Supplemental Food Program that is federally funded and can only be distributed by the LA Regional Foodbank, which is why the partnership was formed.
The kits include meats, canned fruits and vegetables, dry milk, cereals and other grain products, as well as other items.
"The LA Regional Foodbank has been charged with adding approximately 8,000 senior citizens to this program by the end of June," Crawford said. "The program has been expanded and is now taking open enrollment, something they haven't done in a couple of years."
To qualify for the program, seniors must bring picture identification, proof of income (Social Security, SSI or pension, bank statement, check stub, benefit award letter or their Medi-Cal card). Senior citizen clients of the Food Pantry are eligible to participate in the program as well.
Seniors may designate another person to pick up their monthly food kits; that person must accompany the senior when they come to the center for their first visit.
While the federal distribution guidelines define a senior as 60 and up, the SCV Food Pantry requires participants to be 55 years of age or older. To qualify for services, seniors must provide proof of residency in the SCV via a valid driver's license, California ID card and a utility bill or other ID. They must also provide proof of income; food is provided to seniors whose incomes do not exceed $1,354 per month for a single-senior household, or $1,821 for a two-senior household.
The SCV Food Pantry distributes food to Santa Clarita seniors:
- On a special Seniors Only Day, the 3rd Friday of every month from 9 a.m. to noon at the Pantry offices, 24133 Railroad Avenue, Newhall
- On the 1st Tuesday of every month from 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the Sierra Park Mobile Homes in Canyon Country
- On the 1st Thursday of every month from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the Castaic Lake Senior Village
- On the 2nd Tuesday of every month from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the Canyon Country Senior Apartments
- On the 2nd Thursday of every month from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the Acton Presbyterian Church on Acton
- On the 3rd Tuesday of every month from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the Bouquet Canyon Senior Community
- On the 3rd Thursday of every month from 10 to 11:30 at the Orchard Arms Apartments
Seniors are also welcome during regular SCV Food Pantry hours, Monday through Thursday, from 9 a.m. to noon.
For information, call the SCV Food Pantry at 881-255-9078.