Saugus School District Closes Two Schools, Opens Another
Plan includes varying ways to accommodate student populations.
Some Santa Clarita students in the Saugus Union School District will be heading to a new school next year, after a major plan was passed by the District's Board of Directors January 26.
Fluctuating enrollment and the need to modernize prompted the District to indefinitely close Bouquet Canyon School at the end of this school year, and temporarily shut down Emblem School.
Bouquet Canyon School is a temporary facility, which had been serving the District for decades.
Emblem will be the focus of renewed modernization efforts, and the student population will be temporarily redistributed during construction. The District plans to bring the students back to Emblem once the modernization project is complete.
To accommodate the student shuffle, the District will open its newest school, West Creek. Not all of the students will be sent to West Creek; the District realigned school boundaries as follows:
- Bouquet Canyon neighborhood students will now go to Rosedell
- Bouquet Canyon-Haskell Canyon area students will go to Foster
- Emblem-Bridgeport students will go to Bridgeport
- Emblem neighborhood students (includes River Village) will go to Highlands
- Emblem-Estrella Vista and Canyon Ridge students will go to Foster
- Emblem SDC class will go to Highlands
- Legends and Sage developments will be reassigned to go to Mountainview from Santa Clarita
- SDC classes from Cedarcreek will now be sent to Skyblue Mesa
- Tesoro-West Creek students will go to West Creek
- Bridgeport, Rosedell, Plum and Mountainview schools will all be closed to transfers, while all other sites will remain open. West Creek and Highlands will have some restrictions
- All current Bouquet Canyon and Emblem students can choose to transfer to any open enrollment site
- Bouquet Canyon students assigned to Foster would be permitted to transfer to Rosedell and remain through sixth grade
- Students from Emblem assigned to Foster would be permitted to remain with Emblem through sixth grade
In related business, the District made some changes to select schools' administrative staff:
- Cory Pak, current Rosedell Principal, was selected as Principal for West Creek for the 2010/2011 school year.
- Jeff Pettipas, current Bouquet Canyon Principal, was selected as the Principal of Rosedell for the 2010/2011 school year.
A general overview of the West Creek program will be presented at the February 2nd Board meeting held at the District Office.
Use these District-appointed resources for more information.
- Information regarding enrollment procedures will be posted on the website by February 12, 2010.
- Questions regarding boundaries of school of attendance can be directed to: Sue Gordon, District office, 294-5300, ext-174.
- Questions regarding open enrollment can be directed to: Joyce Johnston, District office, 294-5300, ext-122
- Any other questions regarding the Board action of January 26, 2010 can be directed to the Business Services office: Denise Motto, District Office, 294-5300, ext-166.
The District encourages parents to direct all site-specific questions to the principals:
- Bouquet Canyon-Jeff Pettipas, 297-8865
- Bridgeport-Susan Bender, 286-1590
- Foster-Gina Nolte, 297-8840
- Highlands-Paul Martinsen, 297-8875
- Rosedell-Cory Pak, 297-8860
- Santa Clarita-Dianne Saunders, 297-8845
- Mountainview-Chris Hamlin, 297-8835
- Emblem-Julie Bogosian, 297-8870
- Cedarcreek-Rudy Ramirez, 298-3251
- Skyblue Mesa-Debbie Bohn, 298-3260
- Tesoro del Valle-Mary Post, 294-2600
- Plum Canyon-Mary Jane Kelly, 297-8621