Carpool Lane Construction Continues I-5, SR 14 Lane Closures
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will close the following lanes, ramps, connectors and collector roads of the Antelope Valley Freeway (SR-14) and the Golden State Freeway (I-5) as part of a $161-million improvement project to construct High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV or carpool) lanes and a direct HOV lane connector at the I-5/SR-14 interchange. Closures are subject to change.
Closures for Sunday, August 9, through Friday, August 14
Antelope Valley Freeway (SR-14)
- Up to three lanes of the Southbound SR-14 connector to Southbound I-5, time: 5 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Southbound SR-14 collector road to Southbound I-5, time: 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Golden State Freeway (I-5)
- Northbound I-5 connector to Northbound SR-14, time: 11:59 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Southbound truck route collector road, time: 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Northbound truck route collector road, time: 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
This project involves the construction of an elevated two-lane direct HOV connector at the I-5/SR-14 interchange and construction of HOV lanes in both directions of I-5 at the interchange. A direct HOV connector will allow for freeway-to-freeway transfers without exiting the carpool lane.
The project will relieve congestion, improve traffic flow, enhance safety and improve traffic operations on both freeways at the interchange. The work is part of Caltrans' effort to provide motorists with a seamless carpool lane network in California.
Work began in July 2008 and is on track to wrap up in the fall of 2012. Caltrans thanks the motoring public for their patience and understanding during construction.