Odorizer Leak Scares Newhall Residents
An additive to natural gas leaked in Newhall late Thursday night, causing concern among local residents.
At approximately 10pm Thursday, KHTS began receiving calls from listeners regarding a strong smell of gas in the Newhall and Valencia areas. Local sheriffs, working in conjunction with the fire department, concentrated their search for a possible natural gas leak in the downtown Newhall area around San Fernando Road and Pine Street. Around 60 minutes later, the leak was found- only it wasn't gas that was leaking. The source? An additive mixed with natural gas to prevent it from being completely odorless and potentially lethal. Once the leak of the additive- from a 20 gallon drum that typically lasts for over a year- was found, San Fernando Road was reopened, and things began to return to normal. The smell of the additive was expected to linger for another couple of hours before dissipating