Here’s the latest weekly update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. David & Michael Ewart were the most seriously injured. David was the final family member to be released from the Grossman Burn Center, weeks after the fire. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist as the Ewart’s recover. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
David and Michael are continuing along their road to recovery. They are enjoying the love & support they are receiving from friends near & far. They are working diligently on their physical therapy sessions and are both in an excellent frame of mind. Your continued prayers for their strength, stamina and determination are very much appreciated.
* Jay Leno Benefit Performance - We are sending a separate email with all the details of the upcoming Jay Leno Benefit Performance, scheduled for Thursday, March 23, 2006 at 7:30pm at the Hart High School Auditorium.
* Circle Journal/Traveling Buddy - What is this, you ask? It is a traveling journal & here's how it works. We gather an interest list, including name and mailing address. We will start the journal, by writing a message, and taking a picture of our family with our special "traveling buddy" (a stuffed animal). We will then mail the journal & stuffed animal to the next person on the list who will do the same thing. At the end of the "journey", the journal will be mailed back to the originator, and presented to David. Please respond by February 28th if you'd like to participate in this fun & meaningful activity.
* Reminder: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 10:00am - Fund Raising Meeting at the Newhall Church of the Nazarene
* Updates to the Website: www.EwartAid.org We have added our "thanks" to all the many, many folks who are helping with our effort to help the Ewarts get back on their feet. We are so genuinely touched by your generosity, it is difficult to find the words to express our thanks, but each and everyone of you have a special place in our hearts!! We have tried very hard to keep track of all the nice things you have done, so if you go to the website and do not see your name, please, please, please drop us a note so we can add you. We don't want anyone to feel left out, but as we're sure you can imagine, it is a daunting task to keep up with the outpouring. LOL. We are hoping to have the other website improvements (calendar, contacts, photos, flyers) up within the next week.
* Thanks to Shelley Weinstein who helped set-up a visit for Michael & David (and the family) with the LA GALAXY!!! The family has been invited to attend the season opener on April 1st at 8:00pm - they'll even get to meet some of the players! It promises to be a night they'll never forget!!
* As we had reported a while back, the students and faculty at Hart High had collected donations for the Ewarts. On Thursday, February 9th at their Winter Sports Rally, they presented the check to the Ewarts. Our ears are still bursting from the cheers & excitement generated at that rally! Thank you Hart High for all your support and love!
* Thanks to the Musicians of Local 47 for their Blood Drive on Tuesday, February 7th! They collected 21 units of blood in the name of the Ewarts!!! It is greatly appreciated - pictures to follow.
* Scrapbooking - The ladies from Old Orchard 2 are busy scrapping again!! They are getting together tonight (if you get a chance, pop in, say "hi", and put together a page or two for the Ewarts). Their next gathering will be on Friday March 10, 2006 - more details to follow as the date gets closer.
* This week, we were busily writing letters to share the story of the Ewarts to Oprah, Three Wishes, Regis & Kelly, Ellen Degeneris, Tyra Banks, and many more. We have also contacted many local groups for support.
* Next Thursday, 2/16/2006, we will be doing a 1-hour segment on KHTS AM 1220 sometime between 10am - 12pm. If you are planning any future fund raising events for the Ewarts, please let us know the details so we can promote it on this program.
* The Magazine of Santa Clarita will be publishing an article in the March edition of the magazine to promote any activities/events we may have coming up. The deadline for submitting information is Monday, 2/13/2006. If you have any events that are not yet on the calendar, please let us know so it can be included in this article.
* Coming up soon is the Off Broadway Show at Hart High Auditorium!! "MATTY: AN EVENING WITH CHRISTY MATHEWSON". Saturday, February 25, 2006... David is planning to attend this most amazing production and he highly recommends it - especially for anyone who is into baseball! Visit the MATTY Web Site at www.matty.org for more information, photos and reviews. TICKET INFORMATION: Show begins at 7:30pm. To reserve seats, please send an email to: Blocktalk@pacbell.net, and please put "MATTY" as the subject. Let us know how many seats you'd like. This is a "Pay what you Can" show - you can pay before you go in - whatever amount you are comfortable with. This is a family-friendly show.
* There are just 48 spots left for the late show Comedy event on Sunday night, March 19, 2006! The show will run from 9:00pm until 10:30 pm and it is guaranteed that you'll leave the place laughing! We can't think of a better way to end your weekend than by coming to J.R.'s to share an evening of fun & festivities with your friends & neighbors. Remember, we're having a raffle, too, so you may walk away with something quite extraordinary. Best of all, you will be helping to support our friends & neighbors, the Ewarts! Why not grab a bunch of your friends & make an entertaining getaway? Just $20 for the evening! For tickets, please send a self addressed stamped envelope to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321. Let us know how many tickets you'd like & your tickets will be mailed to you the very same day your order is received!
* Raffle - We are still looking for products, gift certificates, or services for our Raffle on March 19th. Please plan for all items to be donated by Sunday, March 12th. Contact us for additional details as to where to bring donated items.
* Bowling Bonanza - (Sunday, April 2nd) - Hey, folks, let's get the word out to all who enjoy bowling - this event is very child friendly, so if you'd like to make a family team, it will be a fun way to spend the afternoon! The folks at Valencia Lanes have said that 60% of all the sales will go to the Ewarts - isn't that fabulous?!?! We do need to commit to 24 teams of 5 people each, so as you can see, we need a lot of folks to sign up! If you are interested, please contact Sylvia Jacobowitz at: (661) 288-1268 or email her at: email@example.com . If we do not have enough sign-ups by the end of February, we may have to cancel this event.
* On Sunday, March 12, 2006, a communitywide Disaster Preparedness, First Aid and CPR class will be held to educate local families on what to do in case of an emergency. Fires, earthquakes and an aging population make this class a necessity for all in our community. It will take place from 10am to 5pm at Temple Beth Ami - 23023 Hilse Lane, Newhall, CA 91321. The cost is $51.00 per person & includes textbooks, CPR card & all necessary resources to learn more about keeping your family safe. Please RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org or for more information, please call Karen Blum (661) 255-6410.
That's all for now.
Thank you for your continued support of the Ewart family!!!
With love & hope,