Ewart Family Wednesday Update
Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
Tonight's health updates are from Michael's brother, Jonathan. Please be sure to visit his website for more details: http://email@example.com/
MICHAEL has begun having visitors, but gets very tired when doing so. Please remember to schedule your visits through Mary Berg (661) 259-2877 or firstname.lastname@example.org
DAVID is off the respirator and breathing well!!!!!! He was very excited to see Jonathan today. He told Jonathan that he was getting so big (but Jonathan thinks that's because he was on a stool). LOL! This is very happy news!! We are all excited and we continue to send good thoughts & prayers.
* Prayer Meeting - Please join the neighbors of the Ewarts at a Prayer Meeting on THURSDAY night, January 12, 2006 at 7:00pm at the end of Via Escovar (off of Rotunda Road), at the paseo, near David's home. Bundle up and dress warmly.
* Thanks to Marie Callendars for donating a $200 Gift Card to the Ewart Family for them to use at the restaurant or to take a meal home. The family will deeply appreciate and enjoy this special gift.
* Meal Rotations - First, we'd like to thank all the many, many folks who have been helping to provide meals for the families. You have no idea how greatly they appreciate your kind, kind gestures. It has been noticed that there is a huge collection of dishes on the front porch belonging to people who have graciously provided the family with dinners the past few weeks. As a reminder, could you please pick up your dishes (which are marked with your name on it) soon, since there is quite a pile accumulating. Again, a big thank you to all the people who have generously provided dinners so far. If you are interested in providing dinners for the family, please contact Diane Kaufler at: DKinscv@comcast.net or call her at (661) 259-2766
* Extreme Home Makeover - Michelle Crawford has asked us to share the following message:
The Extreme Home Makeover video is finally done!
I am thrilled for all of the help and I am very appreciative for all of the calls and emails from so many who wanted to help direct this video to just the "right" person(s). It was a tough decision to know who to hand over this precious video. I did finally hand it over to Scott Larsen. He is a producer on Fear Factor. He shares office space with Extreme Home Makeover and as of 10am this morning hand carried it along with the application to Conrad L. Rickets, a Senior Producer on the show.
I don't know what will come from this, but I'm obviously hoping for the best results & I know all of you are keeping your fingers crossed too! Dave Berg will also be taking a copy to Ty Pennington's publicist as well just in case!
I will let you all know the moment I hear anything! If you all want to view it at some point we can have a quick potluck at the clubhouse-perhaps and use it as out entertainment and give us all another opportunity to pool our resources and brainstorm about future efforts for the Ewarts! Let me know if there is an interest! ***
Thanks to Brandon & Pat , Mary & Dave and everyone who participated in this effort!
*** We will let you know of the date of the Extreme Home Makeover Clubhouse Potluck to view the video & brainstorm ideas when the date is confirmed.**
* Bone Marrow Details - On January 22nd at the Newhall Church of the Nazarene, we will be having a combination Blood Drive and Bone Marrow Registry. (The blood drive is for both the Ewarts and the Baker family. The Bone Marrow Registry is for Ryan Baker, an 11-year old boy who has leukemia, and is in need of a bone marrow donor). As we have noted before, the test is simple - it can be as simple as a finger prick, although it is easier & faster if they take the blood out of your arm. But it is simple & quick and you sit up in a chair...much like a blood test for a doctor. It is not at all like giving blood. A few people have posed the question, "What if I am a match...what happens next?". This is a valid question, to which Mary Berg researched & offered the following information:
" It is difficult to match anyone with a bone marrow, and the Bakers are looking for that needle in the haystack. That is why we are trying to get as many signed up as possible. Should they be a match for Ryan, or for someone else, they would be contacted by the National Bone Marrow Registry. At this point, a decision would have to be made on whether or not this is a good time for them to donate. If they decide to donate, it is a surgical procedure. I am told that it can be a one night stay or in and out the same day. It can be general or local anesthetic. What determines these things, I am not sure. The procedure is that the doctor will insert a needle into the pelvic bone and extract a small amount of your bone marrow. Bone marrow is made up naturally by your body, much like blood after donating blood. You can be sore after the procedure for a couple of days to a couple of weeks. It feels like low back pain.
Once they are in the registry, they stay there until they are 62 years old. You can be called at any time, if you are a match. Some people will never be called. If you are called and it is not a good time for you to undergo a procedure, you may decline."
***** REMINDERS OF UPCOMING EVENTS: ******
* Friday, January 13, 2006 - Free Community Scrapbooking event at Old Orchard 2 Clubhouse, located at: Avenida Entrada, just off of Lyons Avenue in Valencia. Please contact Linda Cavataio to reserve your spot Lindacavataio@sbcglobal.net
* Thursday, January 19 and Friday, January 20 at 7:00pm at Hart Auditorium - Hart Show Choir "Cabaret" Show. $10/premier seat, $6 for students, children, seniors & all others. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Ewart Family. Tickets may be purchased by Hart Show Choir members, or at the Choir Room from 9am to 1pm on Saturday, January 14, or you can contact Gail Hart at email@example.com to arrange for tickets.
* Sunday, January 22, 2006 - Blood Drive (for the Ewarts and Ryan Baker) and Bone Marrow Registry for Ryan Baker. Newhall Church of the Nazarene - 23857 The Old Road, Newhall, CA 91321 (661) 259-5272 - Peggy is the secretary
* Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10am to 12pm - KHTS AM-1220, Santa Clarita's Hometown Station is planning a 2-hour community radio program devoted to the Ewarts. The program will be live from the Westfield Valencia Town Center kiosk.
* Saturday, January 28, 2006 - Free Community Scrapbooking event at Remember When...Scrapbooking, located at 23407 Lyons Avenue in Valencia from 5:00pm to 10:00pm. There are 8 spots available. A Professional Scrapbook Designer/Teacher will be available for consultations if you are new to scrapbooking. Products will be provided for you to work on pages for the Ewart's Scrapbook and/or you can bring your own items. Please BRING PICTURES of the Ewarts. A neighbor of the Ewarts has volunteered to bring her scanner to this event, so if you have photos that you don't wish to part with, please bring them & they can be scanned & returned to you right then & there.
* Sunday, March 19, 2006 Benefit Comedy Show at J.R.'s Comedy Club at Marie Callendars. "G" Rated comedy for the whole family. $20.00 per person - the entire show amount is to be donated to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Dinner (optional) at 5:30 - cost $22 or $29. First Show: 7:00pm to 8:30pm, Late Show: 9:00pm to 10:30pm. Please email me if you would like to be added to the interest list. We will contact you when tickets are available.
***** WITH GREAT APPRECIATION *****
Thank you to the Belzer Family for their generous contribution of $1,000 to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund! Thanks for helping to make a difference in the Ewarts lives.
Thanks to Bob Kellar for his efforts in announcing the upcoming events for the Ewarts on KHTS Radio yesterday afternoon! It's much appreciated.
We are touched by the many kids who have been taking their own money (that they have been saving for something special)...and telling their parents that they want the Ewarts to have it. This is the kind of stuff that just tears at our heartstrings. Kids...thank you for being so selfless, compassionate, caring and considerate. We know how long it takes you to save up for something, and how hard you have had to work to earn your money. For you to put someone else ahead of yourself is admirable. You should be proud of yourselves - we are all proud of you.
***** ITEMS NEEDED *****
We need items to be used as raffle prizes at the Comedy Night at J.R.'s on Sunday, March 19th. Please send us an email if you can offer a service, gift certificate, basket or gift to be raffled off with all proceeds going to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund.
Pictures - we need more pictures of the Ewarts to be used for our Scrapbook projects. Please send pictures to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321 Attn: PICTURES. OR, you can bring pictures to either of the planned Scrapbook Events...OR you can email them to this email address: Blocktalk@pacbell.net
***** HELP WANTED *****
Does anyone have experience in putting together a Celebrity Golf Tournament? We can get the celebrities, but we need some direction/guidance on how to execute it, charge for it, etc.. This is for an event we are planning in late Spring. Please send an email if you can help out.
Does anyone have an "in" at Hart Auditorium or the Canyon Theater Guild for a special production?
Special thanks to all the behind-the-scenes folks that are helping to make all these updates possible!!!
We appreciate your continued good thoughts & prayers for the Ewart family.