Ewart Family: Tuesday Update
Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block. (and it's the best, yet!)
MICHAEL is out of ICU and can receive visitors now (see procedures below)**. He looks GREAT! His face is just fine and he looks like Michael. He is starting to walk (with a walker). It is still hard for him to talk, so he whispers. Michael had a second visit from Sports Star Jerry Owens. They had another great opportunity to visit. Today, Michael received an autographed bat (to go with his ball). Jerry also brought a ball & cap for Michaels brother, Jonathan. He was elated!
NEWSFLASH!!!!! THIS JUST IN!!!! THIS IS THE BEST NEWS YET!!!!! OUR PRAYERS WERE HEARD!!!
DAVID IS OFF THE RESPIRATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will still be some time before he is allowed to have visitors...but Sports Star, Jerry Owens did slip in to say "hi". Of course David cannot talk - he can barely whisper, but it is outstanding news that the ventilator is out!
HUGH & ESSIE arrived at the Center today for an appointment for Hugh. We are told that Hugh has come a long way. When he was in the hospital, his face was so badly burned. But today, the only evidence of any injury at all was a scab at the end of his nose. They both looked great and were in great spirits.
LOTS OF "FINE PRINT", Rules & Regulations regarding VISITS to Michael:
* Michael will now be allowed some visitors BUT...this will be done on a scheduled basis only. Please be patient. A lot of us want to visit, but there are not a lot of visiting hours. Also, as much as Michael will love to see you, it will be tiring on him. Please email Mary Berg directly with a few different times that you would like to go and she will get back to you with a schedule. Please also include your phone number, in case there are last minute changes. email@example.com or (661) 259-2877. Mrs. Berg will be letting Michaels mom & step-dad know who to expect on which day. The family is asking that Michael's friends get to be first in line. It is more important for Michael to see his friends than for a bunch of adults (remember how you felt when you were 15!). Visiting Hours are between 11am and 1pm and between 5pm and 7pm. Obviously the earlier time during the week is a great time for adults to stop in, since the kids will be in school. Please call to schedule those visits as well. The visits will look something like this: There will be 4 kids scheduled between 5 and 7 pm. At around 5PM, one or 2 can go in at a time for up to a half hour. So, one can go in for 15 minutes or 2 can go in for a half hour. Then Michael will take a break from visitors, and the same thing will happen again around 6:15 or 6:30pm. Of course, if at anytime Michael seems just too tired, please be respectful of that. He'll be home soon and be able to take more visitations as the weeks go by. Please be aware that last minute changes can happen. It is possible that you will go for a visit and not get to see Michael. He may be taken for a procedure or therapy at any time.
* Parents of visiting kids - we're sure that you have already discussed this, but if not, it is advisable that you discuss with your kids what they will see. We're told that Michael looks pretty darned good...but with the new skin on his face, it is difficult for him to smile broadly. Also, he has not gotten his voice back yet and speaks in a whisper. His hands are red and black, and he may keep them covered as he may be feeling self-conscious. We're also told that you can't hurt him...so if you want to give him a "love pat" as a hug, go right ahead. Please be aware that you will be asked to put on surgical gloves and a gown. The risk of infection is still very high. With that in mind, if you feel the slightest bit sick, please don't visit.
* Jacqui has asked Mary to schedule hospital visits ONLY through Friday as he may be coming home very soon after that! IF this is the case, they are asking for no visitors over the weekend so that they can get settled in. There is a lot that Jacqui will have to do that is now being done by hospital staff. After the weekend, we will still schedule visits so that their doorbell and phone are not ringing constantly.
OTHER NEWS, REMINDERS AND EVENTS...
* Spots are filling up for the BENEFIT COMEDY SHOW on March 19, 2006, at J.R.'s Comedy Club at Marie Callendars. As a reminder, the show will consist of "G" Rated Comedy, and is intended for families. The cost for the show will be $20 per person, and J.R.'s will be donating this entire amount to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund!!!! Please e-mail me if you would like to be added to the interest list. We will contact you when tickets are available.
* More good news - the folks at J.R.'s Comedy Club at Marie Callendars will add a SECOND SHOW (late show) if the first one fills up! The first show will be from 7:00pm to 8:30pm, with 5:30 seating for dinner, and the second show would be from 9:00pm to 10:30pm. C'mon everyone - let's fill BOTH SHOWS!!! Do it for Ewarts!!!
* Marie Callendars has offered to donate part of the proceeds from the restaurant on Comedy Night to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund! Also, they will be providing a gift card for the family to use for meals - either "to go" or at the restaurant. THANKS, Marie Callendars!!!!
* The Hart Show Choir is having their pop show, "Cabaret" on January 19 and 20th. They are offering a portion of the proceeds (that would typically go to the General Fund) to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Ticket sales begin on January 14th. The shows begin at 7:00pm at the Hart auditorium and tickets are $10 for premium seats (center section) or $6.00 for students, children, seniors & all others. To purchase tickets, you can go to the Choir Room from 9am to 1pm on Saturday, January 14th. Or, you can email Gail Hart at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can arranged to come in & purchase them the following week. Sometimes there are a few tickets at the door, but we wouldn't count on it...and those are usually in the back or along the sides.
* Prayer Meeting - The neighbors of the Ewarts invite you to join in a Prayer Meeting, either on Thursday night 1/12 or Friday night 1/13 at 7:00pm at the end of Via Escovar, near David's home. Bundle up & Dress warm. We will advise the exact date as soon as we hear from the family. Thanks to Deborah Mann for coordinating this effort.
* Remember When...Scrapbooking, located at 23407 Lyons Avenue in Valencia is hosting a Scrapbook Event on Saturday, January 28, 2006 from 5:00pm to 10:00pm. This is a FREE event. There are currently 8 spots available. A Professional Scrapbook Designer/Teacher will be available for consultations if you are new to Scrapbooking. Products will be provided for you to work on pages for the Ewarts' Scrapbook. If you have pictures of the Ewarts, please bring them. To register for this event, please email: Blocktalk@pacbell.net A neighbor & close friend of David's has volunteered to bring her scanner to this event, so if you have photos that you do not wish to part with, please bring them & they can be scanned & returned to you right then & there. This event will be catered.
* KHTS AM-1220, Santa Clarita's Hometown Station is planning a 2-hour community radio program, live from the Westfield Valencia Town Center. The date has been changed to Monday, January 23, 2006 from 10am - 12pm. The entire 2-hour program will be devoted to the Ewart Tragedy. They are assisting in getting the word out with regular announcements and postings on their website and can distribute fliers from their kiosk. Their efforts are most appreciated!
* REMINDER: School Activities - We would love a volunteer from each of the local schools - maybe the PTA or PAC Presidents OR ASB President - to communicate any activities that may be planned in support of the Ewarts. Whether you are making cards & get well letters...or collecting money for the Ewarts, we'd love to know about it so we can share the news.
* We have learned that the St. Petersburg, Florida newspaper ran a 6-paragraph article on David. Way to go! Thanks, East Coast for your coverage!
WITH DEEP APPRECIATION...
* Heartfelt thanks to the ICSOM (International Conference of Symphony and Opera Musicians) whose members contributed heavily to the EOPF fund. David was active in ICSOM for many years, as was his father, Hugh, while working as a symphonic musician before he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a recording career.
* A belated thank you to the Wiley Canyon Elementary School PTA for their generous donations of gifts to the Ewart kids for Christmas. We should have taken pictures of the piles & piles of huge gifts, toys, videos, DVD's, games, gift cards...even an X-Box that these wonderful parents contributed to make the holidays a little "special" for some special kids whose lives had been suddenly turned upside down. It was a huge gesture of kindness to bring a twinkle of joy to a family who has brought so much to their community.
* The Music Teachers of the Newhall School District have contributed to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund - we thank you very much for your kind donation which will be greatly appreciated by the family.
* Thanks to the donations of Dr. Stan Henderson, Kami Karlson, Barbara Ricketts, Diann Rubenstein and Charles Von Der Ahe for their donations of $435 into the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund.
If we have missed thanking anybody, we are truly sorry. There are many, many people who have donated to the fund directly to the bank, and unfortunately we don't have access to all the names of those who donated. If we could, we would have thanked everyone. Please know that your generosity means a lot to the Ewarts and will help with their recovery.
* HELP WANTED **
* Audrey Davis, Manager of the Valencia Hills Swim Team is asking for any SWIM TEAM pictures of the Ewarts. She will be working on a Swim Team project for them. Please check your pictures and if you find any, please email digital pictures to: Audri@pacbell.net., or you can bring hard-copy pictures to Leah Thompson at the Valencia Hills Clubhouse, 24060 Oak Vale Drive, Valencia, CA 91355.
* Raffle Prizes - We are looking for items to be used as raffle prizes at the Comedy Night at J.R.'s on Sunday, March 19th. Please send us an email if you can offer a service, gift certificate, basket or gift to be raffled off with all proceeds going to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund.
Please continue to keep David and his family in your thoughts & prayers.