Here's the latest update, courtesy of Josy & Steve Block, on the Ewart Family fire.
Hugh Ewart has been upgraded to fair condition.
* David and Michael have been upgraded from "critical condition" to "serious, but stable" condition.
* More surgeries are expected to follow.
* Thanks to everyone for the tremendous turnout at the Valencia Hills Blood drive yesterday. We got close to 100 pints of blood - this is outstanding - give yourselves a huge round of applause! Special thanks to the folks at St. Joe's for sponsoring this drive. This morning, The Daily News did a really nice piece on the Blood Drive, as did the Signal - thanks to the reporters & photographers for keeping this story alive & in the news.
* The Grossman Burn Center hotline has been updated and is current as of today, 12/28/05 (818-907-2887).
* ABC 7 will be doing a broadcast from tomorrow's blood drive at the Grossman Burn Center 4929 Van Nuys Blvd., Sherman Oaks, CA 91316 from 12:00pm - 9:00pm. Let's try to have a great turnout here, as well! If you have questions about this blood drive, you can call Tim Smith (800) 469-9555.
* Local 47 Musicians Relief Fund has authorized a $10,000 donation to be added to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund!! Special thanks to Dennis Dreith, Jay Rosen and Gil Romero for the proposal that led to this significant donation. Heartfelt thanks to all the members of Local 47!!!
* Thanks to the entire community for all your donations of clothing and toys. We are happy to report that the clothing needs have been met, if not exceeded, so there is no longer a need for clothing. Also, the kids are fine in terms of toys/gifts. If anyone still wishes to send gifts, the best thing would be gift certificates. Several months down the line, there will be a need for household goods, however, until that time comes, gift cards would be the best solution.
* Extreme Makeover - Just a little more footage is needed to make the video complete. Tomorrow morning, the soccer team will participate in the video. They also want to add some footage of the fire. On New Year's Eve, at 4:00pm, several tons of snow will be delivered in a Valencia Hills neighborhood for the kids to play in! Heather and Jonathan will add a quick line at the end of the video asking for a new house.
* We have been receiving a lot of requests from kids who are very eager to do "something" to help the family. When the schools get back in session, there will be many opportunities for kids to raise money via various school events, projects & efforts. If there are groups of kids that wish to do something on their own (such as the Mistletoe sales), please contact us so we can put the word out.
* The next blood drive after tomorrow's drive at Grossman's will be at the Newhall Church of the Nazarene on Saturday 1/7/06. Please call the Church office for specific times (661) 259-5272.
* The bone marrow registry drive for Ryan Baker, where you can also donate blood for the Ewarts has been changed. The old date for this was Jan 14th. It has been changed to JANUARY 22, from 2pm - 6pm. This will also take place at the Newhall Church of the Nazarene.
Please call the Church Office for an appointment or more information 661.259.5272 - Peggy.
* Heather and Jonathan are keeping busy with friends while they are on break. They are very grateful for the many friends who are inviting them to all kinds of fun places!
* We were advised of a donation of a 7-foot slip cover couch and coffee table for the Ewarts. We are still hoping to find a STORAGE FACILITY to house some of the big-ticket items. We have a potential location in Van Nuys, but are awaiting confirmation.
* Thanks to Buca di Beppo's for donating meals to Davids family.
* Blood Drives:
12/29/05 at the Grossman Burn Center 4929 Van Nuys Blvd. Sherman Oaks, CA 91316 - Say "HI" to the ABC News Team!
1/7/06 AND 1/22/06 - Newhall Church of the Nazarene 23857 The Old Road, Newhall, CA 91321 (661) 259-5272
Cards, Letters, Pictures - Send to Imagination Station, Attn: David Ewart, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321. If you are sending pictures, please be sure to mark the envelope: "PICTURES".
Meal Rotations - contact Diane Kaufler at Dkinscv@comcast.net (661) 259-2766
Visitation - Still limited to IMMEDIATE family only.
Scrapbooking - If you are interested in the OO2 Scrapbook Event on January 13, 2006 at the OO2 Clubhouse at 6:00pm, please contact Linda Cavataio at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scrapbooking - If you are interested in the Scrapbooking Event at Remember When...Scrapbooking on January 28, 2006 from 5pm to 10pm, please sign up by sending an email to: Blocktalk@pacbell.net. We have 19 spots left. As a reminder, the owner of the Scrapbook Store will be donating the products to create these memory books for the Ewarts.
Donations: Checks to be made payable to "David Ewart Catastrophe Fund" and must reference account number: 8606155136. The fund is at Wells Fargo Bank. Also you may donate via Credit Card or Pay Pal by going to www.EOPF.org and follow the links.
How many ways are there to say Thank You? Sooner or later, the words just don't seem adequate...but they're all we have. Your outpouring is so deeply appreciated in the Ewart Families' time of need. Please continue to send your prayers and spread the word about the catastrophe fund.