Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
Last night, a long time friend of David's, (Suzette & her son, Trevor) visited him and sent a lovely recap of their visit that we just must share!
"What can I say? Wow ! ! David & all the other people @ the burn center are certainly
in the "best of hands." God bless all those wonderful Doctor's and caregivers ! ! ! !
Trevor & I arrived @ the hospital last night and spoke with Duncan & other family.
Duncan said that his folks were in visiting David & that they were leaving today to go
back to Oregon for awhile so we waited our turn. He went in to check on them and
to our surprise a few minutes later who appeared? Why it was David & Hugh & Ester
& Duncan, ALL WALKING DOWN THE HALLWAY. We were more than "surprised."
They look fantastic!!!!!! Hugh looked
as wonderful as he did the night of David's Christmas party and of course Ester did as
well. Who would know they have been through such an ordeal?
As for David, well we are still smiling. God has worked so many miracles here.
After a brief reunion in the hallway, David took us to his room & he talked all the way.
We could hardly get a word in.... and I mean that. He looks awesome..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
He thought Trevor had gotten really big as well. Whew, @ least he didn't say that to
me. Ha, ha! The holidays can put a few pounds on us all.
We kept our visit short.... We could tell David was getting tired...after all he is
working so hard.....All I can say, is that this is all " SO AMAZING!!!! Trevor & I will "never forget this night."
Wow! Talk about uplifting!!!
Today, David had a visit from Michelle Crawford and Cheryl Strong. He really wants to get out of the hospital! He's doing great & is getting pretty feisty. Cheryl actually gave David a little haircut & shave (it's okay - she's a professional) - he looks handsome! When Michelle tried to shave him, his eyes almost popped right out of his head! He was in wonderful spirits! Then Lori Wilson and Rebecca & Craig Johnston showed up! He ought to sleep like a baby tonight!
MICHAEL is continuing his recuperation. As each day passes, he gets stronger & stronger. Even though he is doing better & better, he still tires quite easily. Just a reminder...PLEASE continue to schedule your visits through Mary Berg at (661) 259-2877 or email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org . (thank you)
* Thanks for your response to the list of items needed for David. The following items are still needed:
6 White Pillow cases (100% cotton)
5 White Twin Sheet Sets (100% cotton)
1/2 Dozen large grip pencils or pens
2 pair of slip on style slippers
Please let us know if you will be available to get any of these items by Friday 1/20/06.
* Fundraiser Group Meeting - Saturday, February 4, 2006 at 10:00am at our home. We will contact you individually to give you the street address/phone number.
* Celebrity Golf Tournament Planning Meeting - The folks on our team for planning the Celebrity Golf Tournament will be meeting at our home on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 at 7:00pm - 8:00pm. Again, we will contact you individually to give you the street address / phone number.
* We would like to begin putting together a team for the Silent Auction that will be held in conjunction with the Celebrity Golf Tournament and/or the Gala Event. If you are interested in helping with this event, please send me an email.
* We are looking for a venue (free) for a Benefit Boutique. Many charities have seen much success with their annual boutiques. Vendors will be charged a $30 table fee (all of which will be donated to the Ewarts), plus they will donate 20% of their sales to the fund. We are looking to do this event in the the late spring or early summer.
* The Placerita PAC (Parent Advisory Council) will be donating meals to the family following each of the scheduled PAC Meetings, on February 14, March 14, April 18 and May 10th! From the last PAC Meeting, an entire tray of pasta (from Nardone's) and Salad were donated and the family enjoyed it very much! Thanks, Placerita!!
* Regarding the Vince Falzone CD Release Party scheduled for Saturday, February 25th (details below)...they need to have an approximate head-count so they'll know if they need to change venues. Please contact Lily Falzone at: (661) 803-5594 or email her at: email@example.com if you would like to be added to the interest list. You do not need to pay for this ahead of time, but if you could let her know if you're planning to attend, it will really help her to gauge the amount of space they'll need.
* Reminder - This weekend (1/22) is a blood drive (for the Ewarts and Ryan Baker) as well as a bone marrow registry for Ryan Baker. Ryan Baker is 11 years old and is a member of David's church. He has acute lymphoblastic leukemia & is in his 2nd relapse. He has endured countless rounds of chemotherapy already (he was diagnosed at age 5) and is currently undergoing the most intensive round he's ever had. His counts are so low that a fever will mean he needs to be air-lifted to UCLA. He has had chemo about once a week since November, and will have to continue this for a year or more. During this time, he can have almost no contact with the outside world because a simple cold could mean a very serious hospital stay. Or worse. Ryan's birthday is this Saturday, but more than presents, he needs HOPE and a strong showing of SUPPORT from friends, family and the community.
* Thursday, January 19, 2006 - Blood Drive - from 8:00am to 8:00pm at the Small gym at Hart High School. Everyone is welcome to come. 17 year olds are allowed to donate with a signed parent permission slip that they can pick up in the ASB Office, and obviously anyone 18 and over is welcome to donate blood.
*Friday, January 20, 2006 - James Foster Elementary School will be having a Wisdom Tree Night on January 20, 2006, where 10% of all sales will benefit the Catastrophe Fund. The Wisdom Tree is a night of Native American storytelling, ventriloquism and dance...it's a husband and wife team. Admission is FREE. Doors open at 5:30pm and the show starts at 6:30pm. They set up their "Trading Post" where students can buy silver jewelry, dreamcatchers and other souvenirs.
* Thursday, January 19 and Friday, January 20 at 7:00pm at Hart Auditorium - Hart Show Choir "Cabaret" Show. $10/premier seat, $8 for regular seats and $6 for students, children, seniors & all others. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Ewart Family. Tickets may be purchased by Hart Show Choir members, or at the Choir Room from 9am to 1pm on Saturday, January 14, or you can contact Gail Hart at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for tickets.
* Sunday, January 22, 2006 - Blood Drive (for the Ewarts and Ryan Baker) and Bone Marrow Registry for Ryan Baker. 1:00pm to 5:00pm. Newhall Church of the Nazarene - 23857 The Old Road, Newhall, CA 91321 (661) 259-5272 - Peggy is the secretary
* Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10am to 12pm - KHTS AM-1220, Santa Clarita's Hometown Station is planning a 2-hour community radio program devoted to the Ewarts. The program will be live from the Westfield Valencia Town Center kiosk.
* Saturday, January 28, 2006 - Free Community Scrapbooking event at Remember When...Scrapbooking, located at 23407 Lyons Avenue in Valencia from 5:00pm to 10:00pm. There are 8 spots available. A Professional Scrapbook Designer/Teacher will be available for consultations if you are new to scrapbooking. Products will be provided for you to work on pages for the Ewart's Scrapbook and/or you can bring your own items. Please BRING PICTURES of the Ewarts.
* Monday, January 30, 2006 - Baja Fresh Fundraiser for the Ewarts. Bring in the attached flyer (if you did not receive the attachment on 1/17, please let us know & we can email you a copy) - 15% of sales will be donated to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund (5pm to 10pm, select stores only - see flier).
* Tuesday, February, 7, 2006 - The Musicians Union, Local 47 is organizing a Blood Drive at the Local 47 Auditorium from 10am until 5pm. It is located at 815 Vine Street in Hollywood. The Providence Blood Donor Center will provide everything, right down to juice & cookies. And every donor will receive a coupon for a free "pint" of ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Please call (323) 993-3159 to sign up. Walk-ins are available and soon there will be a web site available to sign up electronically.
* Saturday, February 25, 2006 - Vince Falzone's CD Release Party at SCVARTS. Tickets are $8.00 per person if you pre-purchase, and $10.00 per person at the door. You can pre-purchase tickets by e-mailing: Music@MusicByVince.com with your request and you will receive detailed instructions. 50% of both pre-purchased and door ticket sales will be donated to the Ewarts' fund. CD's are $12 regularly (on the website and retail), but $10 at the show. The website is: http://www.MusicByVince.com. SCV Arts' website is: www.scv-arts.com. They are located at: 27737 Bouquet Canyon Road, #113, Santa Clarita, CA 91350 (in Telly's plaza).
* Sunday, March 19, 2006 Benefit Comedy Show at J.R.'s Comedy Club at Marie Callendars. "G" Rated comedy for the whole family. $20.00 per person - the entire show amount is to be donated to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Dinner (optional) at 5:30 - cost $22 or $29. First Show: 7:00pm to 8:30pm, Late Show: 9:00pm to 10:30pm. To get your tickets, please send a check for $20.00 per person in your party. Checks should be made payable to "David Ewart Catastrophe Fund". Be sure to write the account number in the memo section of your check: 8606-155136. Mail to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, ATTN: Josy
With your check, please include the following information:
* names of all the people in your party
* your preference of early show or late show
* Will you be coming for the 5:30 dinner/show, or just the 7pm show or 9pm show
*Return address for us to mail your tickets to you.
*** HELP WANTED ***
* Secondary Storage Facility - We have had such an overwhelming response for donated furniture that our 10 x 10 facility at Castaic Lake Storage will probably be filled by the end of this week. We still have nearly 20 other pick-ups ready to be scheduled. Is there anyone out there that has a storage facility available? Extra space in a garage? Part of a warehouse? We estimate we will need this facility for 6 months, give or take a little.