Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Last weekend, David Ewart was the final family member to be released from the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist as the Ewart’s recover. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
DAVID is working very hard at his physical therapy. When he has free time, he squeezes a ball with his hands to try to stretch/loosen up his fingers. He still has a number of very tender spots on his back. His range of motion is slightly limited, so there are a few clothing items that would make his life much easier. If you are able to pick up any of the items below, please let us know & we will give you delivery instructions.
7 button-down shirts - either cotton or other lightweight material - size XL
7 thin long sleeved t-shirts - size XL
3 Zip-Up Sweatshirts / Hoodies - size XL
The reason for the XL size is so that the clothing can fit very loosely.
MICHAEL continues with his therapy & doctors appointments. The family is having some time management adjustments with all the appointments and all the after-school needs of the kids. We are now going to be providing dinners on a nightly basis, instead of every other night. If you have not signed up & would like to assist with meals, please contact Diane Kaufler at 661.259-2766 or email her at DKinSCV@comcast.net If you have already signed up, Diane will be contacting you as soon as she can. As a side note, Michael needs to "bulk up", and needs to consume 3,000 calories a day.
* SCC Fund Raising - We just had to share that we sampled the breads from www.butterbraid.com and they are amazing!!! Patty, the distributor gave us some freshly baked samples this morning, and they were some of the most delicious breads we've ever tasted!!! The aroma is heavenly, the texture is dreamy and the flavor is beyond description. This would be a perfect fund raiser for any of the groups out there...I would encourage you to buy at least two, because after you taste the first one, you're not going to want to wait for the second one. LOL. You can check out their website at the above address, and remember that the Ewarts will get 40% of the cost! The retail price is $10.00 each. Simply send a note detailing the quantity & flavor of the breads you'd like & send a check ($10 per loaf - no tax) to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, attn: Josy. As soon as we receive payment, we will process your order. Please make checks payable to "SCC Fund Raising". Free delivery to all SCV residents. If you live out of the area, we will advise you of a particular date/location for you to come pick up your order from. If you have a group (i.e. work office, church, temple, scouts, youth group, school, sports team, etc., that would like to sell these items, we will be happy to help you coordinate that effort). Thanks to SCC Fund Raising for this fantastic & unique opportunity!
* Reminder: Scrapbooking Event on Saturday night, 1/28, from 5pm - 10pm at Remember When...Scrapbooking. When all is said and done, most things in a home can be replaced. But nothing can replace the lost memories and pictures. We are grateful to everyone who has been sending in pictures, cards, letters and stories and we are looking forward to creating a most meaningful gift for David - glimpses of his family's life through the years. We will also be putting together a special album including all of the lovely cards & sentiments that David received while he was in the hospital.
* I have just learned how to update the website myself (thanks to a very understanding & patient hubby). Yay! So, now all of the web pages will be kept in a more up-to-date fashion.
* This is just a friendly reminder to all that if you have not looked at your insurance policy for a while (which most of us are guilty of), you may want to pull it out to make sure that you are covered for TODAY'S prices...not the costs of the time your policy was drawn up in.
*** GENERAL INFORMATION: ***
* Here's a fun way to help the Ewarts. A long-time friend of David's, Zoe, has an E-Bay store. She has set aside 8 items for the Ewart Fund - if you win the auction, you'll not only have a warm and sparkly heart, but also something to give as a gift or keep for yourself! Please visit: www.simplyzoe.com, and bid on the following items: 5081378728, 5081380096, 5081380563, 5081381399, 5081382430, 5081383315, 5081384128, 5081385135...and 5081388227
* If you have items that YOU would like to sell on E-Bay...but you're not sure if they will sell, or you are not sure how to go about putting them up, please contact Zoe at: firstname.lastname@example.org and she will help determine the items' sellability. If the items are small enough, she will even offer to have you ship the items to her & she'll put them on the website for the Ewarts.
* In case anyone would like to have money wired directly into the Ewarts Catastrophe Account, here is the info you will need: Routing Number is: 121000248 (this is considered a "wire"). The account number at Wells Fargo is: 8606-155136, and the name on the account is "David Ewart Catastrophe Fund". To clear up any confusion, the funds in this account are for David AND Michael.
Remember to check the websites... http://www.EwartAid.org
and Jonathan's website: http://email@example.com/
***UPCOMING EVENTS ***
* TONIGHT: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 8:00pm - Imaginary Winds Concert at Emmanuel Lutheran Church in North Hollywood. The concert will consist of music written for wind ensembles of various sizes by W.A. Mozart, whose 250th birthday will be celebrated that day. Imaginary Winds is an ensemble consisting of Los Angeles' finest studio & symphonic woodwind, brass, and percussion artists. The church is located at: 6020 Radford Avenue, North Hollywood, CA 91606, and is on the northeast corner of Oxnard Ave. and Radford Street, one block east of the 170 Freeway in North Hollywood, Free parking is plentiful. Tickets will be available at the door & admission will be $20.00 with youth and senior discounts available. Kids under 8 or over 80 will be admitted for free. Proceeds will be donated to the Ewart family. Deep appreciation to the Hearts of Music Fund for their support of the Ewarts.
* Saturday, January 28, 2006 - Free Community Scrapbooking event at Remember When...Scrapbooking, located at 23407 Lyons Avenue in Valencia from 5:00pm to 10:00pm. A Professional Scrapbook Designer/Teacher will be available for consultations if you are new to scrapbooking. Products will be provided for you to work on pages for the Ewart's Scrapbook and/or you can bring your own items. Please bring your scrapbooking tools. Contact Josy at Blocktalk@pacbell.net to sign up for this event.
* Monday, January 30, 2006 - Baja Fresh Fundraiser for the Ewarts. Bring in the attached flyer (if you did not receive the attachment on 1/17, please let us know & we can email you a copy) - 15% of sales will be donated to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund (5pm to 10pm, select stores only - see flier). Just think...you get to enjoy a great meal, converse with your friends & neighbors and help the Ewarts - all at the same time! It will surely be a fun evening for all!
* Wednesday, February 1, 2006 - 7pm-8pm - Celebrity Golf Tournament Planning Meeting at the Newhall Church of the Nazarene
* Saturday, February 4, 2006 - 10:00am Fundraiser Group Meeting at the Newhall Church of the Nazarene
* Tuesday, February, 7, 2006 - The Musicians Union, Local 47 is organizing a Blood Drive at the Local 47 Auditorium from 10am until 5pm. It is located at 815 Vine Street in Hollywood. The Providence Blood Donor Center will provide everything, right down to juice & cookies. And every donor will receive a coupon for a free "pint" of ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Please call (323) 993-3159 to sign up. Walk-ins are available and soon there will be a web site available to sign up electronically.
* Thursday, February 16, 2006 - KHTS AM 1220 will be devoting a 1-hour segment to the Ewart family and a 1-hour segment to the Baker family for us to share updates with the community. Please tune in & support your local hometown radio station, KHTS AM 1220. (10:00am to 12:00pm).
* Saturday, February 25, 2006 - Special Event - To be Announced
* Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - Restaurant Fund Raiser - Details to follow next week.
* Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 8:00pm, Vince Falzone, local musician, will be hosting the "Vince Falzone CD Release Benefit Concert" at the Canyon Theater Guild. Half of all proceeds will be donated to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Tickets are $12 each and may be ordered by calling Lily Qian-Falzone at (661) 803-5594 or emailing her at: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Note: This replaces the event that was previously scheduled for February 25th)
* Sunday, March 19, 2006 Benefit Comedy Show at J.R.'s Comedy Club at Marie Callendars. "G" Rated comedy for the whole family. $20.00 per person - the entire show amount is to be donated to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Dinner (optional) at 5:30 - cost $22 or $29. First Show: 7:00pm to 8:30pm, Late Show: 9:00pm to 10:30pm. To get your tickets, please send a check for $20.00 per person in your party. Checks should be made payable to "David Ewart Catastrophe Fund". Be sure to write the account number in the memo section of your check: 8606-155136. Mail to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, ATTN: Josy
With your check, please include the following information:
* names of all the people in your party
* your preference of early show or late show
* Will you be coming for the 5:30 dinner/show, or just the 7pm show or 9pm show
*Return address for us to mail your tickets to you.
* Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 5:00pm to 7:00pm - Special Event - To be announced
*** SPECIAL REQUEST ***
* David, a professional violinist in LA had several violins, bows and a viola in his home on December 20th all of which were lost as a result of the tragic fire. This unfortunate loss included several bows by Sartory, Hill and Nurenberger and a fine Italian violin by Jannarius Gaglianus, made in 1765. Anyone who knows David, knows that the music continues to live in his heart, his soul and his spirit. He can't possibly keep it bottled up inside - his music must be shared with not only the community...but the world. If there is anyone who might have a Jannarius Gaglianus violin in their possession, would they consider letting David use it to share his beautiful music once again? It would be a most amazing blessing if we could help to reunite a masterful violinist with an instrument worthy of his talents.
*** HELP WANTED / ITEMS NEEDED ***
We WISH we could do it all...but the reality is that we need your help to make our events as successful as they can be! The Ewarts bills are going to be astronomical - even with their insurance. We are pleading with the community (local and far away) to please check our "help wanted" ads and step up wherever you can. If you are not comfortable assuming a position on your own...pair up with a friend. We have a long road ahead of us and it is our sincerest hope that you will be there to support this effort all the way through.
* Corporate Liaison - We are looking for someone who would be able to correspond with businesses to solicit goods, services, or gift certificates to be donated to the Silent Auctions for the benefit of the Ewarts.
* Is there a friendly attorney or IRS person out there that could help us file for 501 (c) 3 status (non-profit / charity status)? It sounds like this is a lengthy process with lots of paperwork - we want to make sure all the proper documents are filed on behalf of the Ewarts. This is a little out of our realm of expertise, so any advice would be more than welcome.
* Secondary Storage Facility - Our first storage facility has been maxed out and we still have nearly 20 other furniture pick-ups ready to be scheduled. Is there anyone out there that has a storage facility available? Extra space in a garage? Part of a warehouse? We estimate we will need this facility for 6 months, give or take a little. There are a lot of folks who have so graciously offered to donate some big-ticket items - one person is even storing a brand new (large) bed in her living room until we can get a place to store it. Please, please, please - ask your friends & co-workers!
* We need volunteers for a Silent Auction that will be held in conjunction with the Celebrity Golf Tournament, Gala Event and/or an upcoming Benefit Screening
* We need a co-chair to help run the Spring/Summer Boutique. Additionally, we will need volunteers to help with cashiering, and other assorted capacities.
* Please send us your ideas for different ways to make money for the Ewarts!
* If you have home movies or still pictures from any of the Variety Shows from Wiley Canyon Elementary or Old Orchard Elementary, please contact Patti Sulpizio who will be making a video montage of all of David's years as the Artistic Director. You may contact Patti at (661) 253-1673 or send her an email at: PattiSoul@aol.com
* Please continue to send PICTURES (not only of the Ewarts, but of you, their friends) to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, ATTN: Josy. It is helpful if you include a note detailing the who, what, where, when, how & why of the pictures. Also, please share your STORIES with us of how you know David, how he touched your life, how he made you laugh, etc.
Where there is love, there is hope,
Josy and Steve Block