Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
MICHAEL. It is CONFIRMED. He will be coming home tomorrow (Saturday)!!! Now, we couldn't just let him come home in any old conventional way, so we have arranged to have a black limousine pick him up from the Grossman Burn Center and bring him home in style! Thanks to Exclusive Sedan who is only charging us the drivers' fee!! When Michael arrives home, he will be welcomed into a decked-out home complete with balloons and a joyful family that will be so happy to receive him at last!!! Please note that Michael does have a staph infection and another small infection as well, and for that reason, he will not be able to have visitors until sometime next week. Believe us, as soon as it is safe for him to have visitors, we'll put the word out & Mary Berg will be happy to schedule you a visitation time. Thanks for your continued patience - we just want to make sure he is 100%!
DAVID remains in ICU...but only because they have run out of beds :) That's right, as soon as a room opens up (like maybe Michaels, tomorrow), David should be moved right on out of ICU. His prognosis is good and he could potentially be released within the next week or two. This is an amazing demonstration of the power of prayer. No one ever could have expected that these boys would come so far in their recovery, so fast. When asked if David will be able to play the violin again, we are told that if David wants to, David will. We all know how determined he can be and as we all know, when you really put your mind to something, you can make it happen.
* We cannot find the words to express our gratitude for the amount of "hustle" you folks exhibited this morning. We put out an "immediate needs" email for some last-minute items that the family will need for Michael's home care. This email went out at 6:00am. Would you believe that by 9:30am everything on the list was accounted for?!?! Over 100 items in just a matter of hours. This, my friends, is quite impressive. Special thanks to the following people for buying, laundering and/or delivering everything: Jonsie Ross, Mary Ann Rege, Leslie Gilbride, Heather Baden, Cheryl Strong, Charlene Combs, Kathy Bauer, Carol Gill, Kim Reed and Aaron Zigman!!! How about a HUGE round of applause for these fine friends! I hope to deliver everything they'll need right away by 9:00pm...and the few loads of laundry that are still running will be delivered in the morning.
* Vince Falzone is a local recording artist. He is having a CD Release Party at SCVARTS on Saturday, February 25th. Tickets are $8.00 per person if you pre-purchase, and $10.00 per person at the door. You can pre-purchase tickets by e-mailing: Music@MusicByVince.com with your request and you will receive detailed instructions. 50% of both pre-purchased and door ticket sales will be donated to the Ewarts' fund. CD's are $12 regularly (on the website and retail), but $10 at the show. The website is: http://www.MusicByVince.com. With the purchase of each ticket, you will get a $5.00 off coupon for SCV Arts' class. SCV Arts is a non-profit organization dedicated to bring art (and Christian values) into young people's lives. They have art, music and dance classes throughout the week at their Saugus location. Their website is: www.scv-arts.com. They are located at: 27737 Bouquet Canyon Road, #113, Santa Clarita, CA 91350 (in Telly's plaza). SCV Art's facility holds 50-60 people, so if response is too strong, we may need to change the venue. We will keep you posted on this.
* Benefit Comedy Show - The tickets are in! Here is what we need you to do. Please send a check for $20.00 per person in your party. Checks should be made payable to "David Ewart Catastrophe Fund" - be sure to write the account number in the memo section of your check: 8606-155136. With your check, please include the following information: names of all the people in your party...your preference of early show or late show...Will you be coming for the 5:30 dinner/show, or just the 7pm show or 9pm show...return address for us to mail your tickets to you. Please mail checks to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, ATTN: Josy . Thanks to Richard Varner of Student Transportation of America for getting the tickets printed up.
* Regarding the Scrapbooking event on Saturday, January 28, 2006 at Remember When...Scrapbooking...we will not have access to the scanner as originally planned, therefore, we encourage you to please bring pictures that you can part with. Digital pictures can be ordered from Wal Mart or Costco from your home computer for as low as .19-cents each. Or, you can have color copies made of your original photos at Staples or Kinkos.
* Some people have asked how soon they can give blood again, if they have recently donated. The magic number is 56 days. SO...if you donated blood at the Valencia Hills Blood Drive on December 27, 2005, you would not be eligible to donate again until February 21st.
* Michelle Crawford has asked us to pass on this information. My husband who on occasion plays the devil's advocate thought we shouldn't mention this...however...Michelle has one of those "devil advocate-husbands" too and she says it's good to let people have hope in these kinds of situations. SO, having given you that preface, here is the news...direct from Michelle...
"Extreme Makeover Update! IT'S OFFICIAL, today @ 3:25 pm, I received a call from Melissa form the show. They do have a few questions that I will need to ask David when I can speak with him. Obviously , that will not be until sometime next week...but the show is willing to wait! I am thinking that if we are able to meet their insurance/legal requirements...WE'RE IN! Now that we are looking like we have a good shot at this, I'd really like to check on the availability of showing it to you all at the Valencia Hills Clubhouse in the next 10 days! I will let you all know once I have worked it all out! I'll keep you posted...you just keep your fingers crossed!"
***** REMINDERS OF UPCOMING EVENTS: ******
* Thursday, January 19, 2006 - Blood Drive - from 8:00am to 8:00pm at the Small gym at Hart High School. Everyone is welcome to come. 17 year olds are allowed to donate with a signed parent permission slip that they can pick up in the ASB Office, and obviously anyone 18 and over is welcome to donate blood.
* Thursday, January 19 and Friday, January 20 at 7:00pm at Hart Auditorium - Hart Show Choir "Cabaret" Show. $10/premier seat, $8 for regular seats and $6 for students, children, seniors & all others. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Ewart Family. Tickets may be purchased by Hart Show Choir members, or at the Choir Room from 9am to 1pm on Saturday, January 14, or you can contact Gail Hart at email@example.com to arrange for tickets.
* Sunday, January 22, 2006 - Blood Drive (for the Ewarts and Ryan Baker) and Bone Marrow Registry for Ryan Baker. Newhall Church of the Nazarene - 23857 The Old Road, Newhall, CA 91321 (661) 259-5272 - Peggy is the secretary
* Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10am to 12pm - KHTS AM-1220, Santa Clarita's Hometown Station is planning a 2-hour community radio program devoted to the Ewarts. The program will be live from the Westfield Valencia Town Center kiosk.
* Saturday, January 28, 2006 - Free Community Scrapbooking event at Remember When...Scrapbooking, located at 23407 Lyons Avenue in Valencia from 5:00pm to 10:00pm. There are 8 spots available. A Professional Scrapbook Designer/Teacher will be available for consultations if you are new to scrapbooking. Products will be provided for you to work on pages for the Ewart's Scrapbook and/or you can bring your own items. Please BRING PICTURES of the Ewarts.
* Tuesday, February, 7, 2006 - The Musicians Union, Local 47 is organizing a Blood Drive at the Local 47 Auditorium from 10am until 5pm. It is located at 815 Vine Street in Hollywood. The Providence Blood Donor Center will provide everything, right down to juice & cookies. And every donor will receive a coupon for a free "pint" of ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Please call (323) 993-3159 to sign up. Walk-ins are available and soon there will be a web site available to sign up electronically.
* Sunday, March 19, 2006 Benefit Comedy Show at J.R.'s Comedy Club at Marie Callendars. "G" Rated comedy for the whole family. $20.00 per person - the entire show amount is to be donated to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Dinner (optional) at 5:30 - cost $22 or $29. First Show: 7:00pm to 8:30pm, Late Show: 9:00pm to 10:30pm. Please email me if you would like to be added to the interest list.
***** WITH GREAT APPRECIATION *****
* Thank you to J.J. and Stan Tyler who have contributed $550 to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund via the donation jars at Debbie's Hallmark. They do not personally know the Ewarts, but felt the need to help like so many of us. Heartfelt thanks for your kindness.
***** ITEMS NEEDED *****
We need items to be used as raffle prizes at the Comedy Night at J.R.'s on Sunday, March 19th. Please send us an email if you can offer a service, gift certificate, basket or gift to be raffled off with all proceeds going to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund.
Pictures - we need more pictures of the Ewarts to be used for our Scrapbook projects. Please send pictures to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321 Attn: PICTURES. OR, you can bring pictures to either of the planned Scrapbook Events...OR you can email them to this email address: Blocktalk@pacbell.net
Stories - We are hoping to get more stories of how David or the family has touched your life...made you laugh...inspired you...or anything else. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, and it doesn't have to be long - even just a paragraph or a few lines. Just drop us an email - we are hoping to include these stories in a memory book for the family.
You are an awesome group of people and we feel so privileged to be invited into your homes every night for these updates.
Best wishes for a very wonderful weekend! Think good thoughts, and good things will happen.