Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Last weekend, David Ewart was the final family member to be released from the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist as the Ewart’s recover. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
DAVID and MICHAEL are continuing on their road to recovery. Continued prayers for their strength & stamina are much appreciated.
* We had to share this story from Sid Page, a friend of David's. He visited David the other day and met him at his property on Via Escovar. When Sid drove up, David had a bucket of water in his hands and was caring for the few remaining plants that had survived the fire. His thoughts were that since the neighbors had to endure looking at the burned out home, the least he could do was to try and get the flowers to grow for them - so touching, and typical of David. Always thinking of others.
* SAVE THE DATE!!! The date is finally set, so mark your calendars for Thursday evening, March 23rd! JAY LENO has offered to do a benefit for the Ewart and Baker families! It will be held at Hart Auditorium...probably around 7:30pm. Not all the details are in yet, but we wanted you to know to SAVE THE DATE!!! Please spread the word! We want a full house in support of these wonderful families! Thanks to Gail Hart for her efforts in securing Hart High's Auditorium for this event.
* Baja Fresh Totals are in! The total sales for the Valencia branch was $4,308.91 and Canyon Country was $612.51! That's a lot of chips & guacamole!!! Baja Fresh has donated $875 to the fund! Thank you, friends at Baja Fresh!
* We have just learned that the Wiley Canyon Elementary School Variety Show is being dedicated to the Ewart Family this year! Because it is a PTA sponsored event, they cannot raise money for an individual family, however, they do plan to have donation jugs available in the event that show goers wish to donate to the family. If you would like to attend the show, it is scheduled for Thursday, February 9th at 6:30pm at the Wiley Canyon MPR. Tickets are $4 for adults and $1 for children. You can purchase tickets via an order form available at the Wiley Canyon School Office, or at the door the night of the show, if they are not sold out. All donation information will be printed in their programs.
* The Newton Division of the LAPD had a barbecue fundraiser for the Ewarts last week and raised $5,800 in about 3 hours!!!!! David's niece is an officer at Newton and we are all thrilled at the success of this event! Thank you to all the officers from all over who came by to support this effort!!!
* Extreme Makeover - Here is the word we received today from the Producer of Extreme Makeover: "...We are, however, all booked for the rest of the season (which shoots thru the first week of May). And, as of now, we haven't been picked up for another season - yes, it probably will happen-but we then spend our Summer & Fall months in the north, east and Midwest and work our way back here during the winter (we are slaves to the weather). So, technically, if we DO get picked up and DO like his story, we're looking at probably a year from now - and "I'm sure they will want a house before that! Thanks for understanding my position. Just keep me posted on their medical condition..." Although at first we were disappointed in this news, we know in our hearts that we put out our best effort. There must be some reason that this did not go through and something bigger & better must be waiting just around the corner. Michelle Crawford still has her fingers crossed that maybe there is still hope for doing this at a later date & to not give up quite so easily.
* The proceeds from the Hart Show Choir "Cabaret" Show have been tallied and a check for $2,000 is on the way to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund! Thank you to Gail Hart and all the wonderful and talented Show Choir members for their outstanding show and their generous contribution!
* REMINDER: This Saturday, February 4, 2006 at 10:00am we will be having a Fundraiser Group Meeting at the Newhall Church of the Nazarene. Patty at SCC Fund Raising has offered to bring the committee some of her delicious butter braids! We have a lot to discuss, including the logistics of some upcoming events and many other hot topics! If you would like to be a part of the fund raising group and you did not receive a separate email regarding this meeting, please contact us for further details.
* Comedy Night - (March 19, 2006 7:00pm or 9:00pm, with optional dinner at 5:30pm). The early show is officially SOLD OUT! Meals will range from $10.99 to $14.99. We want to thank and acknowledge Randy Lubas of J.R.'s for his generous donation of the club for this special event!! We are deeply grateful for all the time and effort he has put into insuring that this event will be a huge success! We also wish to thank all the comedians that will be donating their time & talent for the cause! Please show your support for the Ewarts by coming to J.R.'s for a fun night of laughter and friendship! For exact show details, please see below.
* Off Broadway Show!! "MATTY: AN EVENING WITH CHRISTY MATHEWSON" is one of David's favorites!! Eddie Frierson's MATTY took the theatre world by storm when it opened Off-Broadway at the Lamb's Theatre in 1996. Hailed by National Public Radio as "One of the year's ten best plays, "MATTY" is now coming again to the Santa Clarita Valley as a special benefit performance for David Ewart and family!! MATTY is a full two-hour theatrical event that makes a wonderful date or event to share with your entire family. MATTY is more than just a play - it is an evening with one of the most beloved Americans to ever live! Who was MATTY? In the time when it seemed that Giants walked the earth, none was more honored than the great Christy Mathewson. The greatest hero in the era before Babe Ruth, the college educated man who lifted the then rowdy world of baseball to gentlemanliness - Mathewson was the basis, many say, for the idealized athlete Frank Merriwell, an inspiration to many authors through the years and, now, to author Eddie Frierson. Visit the MATTY Web Site at www.matty.org for more information, photos and reviews. TICKET INFORMATION: Date: Saturday night, February 25, 2006, at 7:30pm, at the HART Auditorium. To reserve seats, please send an email to: Blocktalk@pacbell.net, and please put "MATTY" as the subject. Let us know how many seats you'd like. This is a "Pay what you Can" show - you can pay before you go in - whatever amount you are comfortable with. This is family-friendly. Thank you to Gail Hart and all our friends at Hart High for letting us use the Auditorium for this special event! Also, thank you to Eddie Frierson for donating all his time and talent to perform this amazing show!
* The eBay fun continues...for the entire month of February, Zoe will donate a percentage of all her sales to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Have fun shopping!!! Just visit Zoe's site at: www.simplyzoe.com . Also, if you remember to leave feedback for Zoe, your name will be entered into a drawing to win an eBay Gift Certificate!
* Zoe has challenged all of her Independent Distributor friends (i.e. Tupperware, Mary Kay, Avon, Tastefully Simple, Close To My Heart, Pampered Chef, Stampin' Up, Arbonne, etc.) to donate a percentage of their February sales to the Ewarts. These folks who live up in Washington don't even know the Ewarts, yet many are willing to take the challenge & run with it! Any takers here in California? Florida? Oregon?
*** GENERAL INFORMATION: ***
* Remember that if you would like to make a tax-deductible donation to the Ewarts, you can go online to www.eopf.org or you can send a check to the EOPF (putting "David Ewart" on the memo line) to: EOPF, 12001 Ventura Place, 5th Floor, Studio City, CA 91602. 100% of the EOPF donations go to the Ewart's with no administrative expenses deducted.
* SCC Fund Raising - The breads from www.butterbraid.com are amazing!!! . Check out their website at the above address, and remember that the Ewarts will get 40% of the cost! The retail price is $10.00 each. Simply send a note detailing the quantity & flavor of the breads you'd like & send a check ($10 per loaf - no tax) to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, attn: Josy. As soon as we receive payment, we will process your order. Please make checks payable to "SCC Fund Raising". Free delivery to all SCV residents. If you live out of the area, we will advise you of a particular date/location for you to come pick up your order from. If you have a group (i.e. work office, church, temple, scouts, youth group, school, sports team, etc., that would like to sell these items, we will be happy to help you coordinate that effort). Thanks to SCC Fund Raising for this fantastic & unique opportunity!
* If you would like to participate in the upcoming Via Escovar block garage sale fund raiser, please contact Deborah Mann at (661) 255-6271, or email her at: Debmann44@aol.com. It is scheduled for Saturday, March 11, 2006 from 7:00am to 11:00am. If you would like to contribute items to be sold...or if you would like to set up a table of your own, that would be great! The more, the merrier! All proceeds will benefit the Ewarts. Now, ladies (and men)...we have seen you shop, so put on your shopping shoes & get ready for some bargains!!
* If you have items that YOU would like to sell on E-Bay...but you're not sure if they will sell, or you are not sure how to go about putting them up, please contact Zoe at: email@example.com and she will help determine the items' sellability. If the items are small enough, she will even offer to have you ship the items to her & she'll put them on the website for the Ewarts.
* In case anyone would like to have money wired directly into the Ewarts Catastrophe Account, here is the info you will need: Routing Number is: 121000248 (this is considered a "wire"). The account number at Wells Fargo is: 8606-155136, and the name on the account is "David Ewart Catastrophe Fund". To clear up any confusion, the funds in this account are for David AND Michael.
* Remember, if you'd like to visit David or Michael, you can contact Mary Berg at (661) 259-2877 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will be happy to schedule you in for a visit. Again, due to the vast amount of doctors appointments and the nature of their injuries, your appointment may at times need to be rescheduled. We all appreciate your understanding in this matter.
Remember to check the websites... http://www.EwartAid.org
and Jonathan's website: http://email@example.com/
***UPCOMING EVENTS ***
* Saturday, February 4, 2006 - 10:00am Fundraiser Group Meeting at the Newhall Church of the Nazarene. Patty at SCC Fund Raising has offered to bring the committee some of her delicious butter braids! We have a lot to discuss, so please try to be prompt.
* Tuesday, February, 7, 2006 - The Musicians Union, Local 47 is organizing a Blood Drive at the Local 47 Auditorium from 10am until 5pm. It is located at 815 Vine Street in Hollywood. The Providence Blood Donor Center will provide everything, right down to juice & cookies. And every donor will receive a coupon for a free "pint" of ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Please call (323) 993-3159 to sign up. Walk-ins are available and soon there will be a web site available to sign up electronically.
* Thursday, February 16, 2006 - KHTS AM 1220 will be devoting a 1-hour segment to the Ewart family and a 1-hour segment to the Baker family for us to share updates with the community. Please tune in & support your local hometown radio station, KHTS AM 1220. (10:00am to 12:00pm).
* Saturday, February 25, 2006 - Off Broadway Show at Hart High Auditorium!! "MATTY: AN EVENING WITH CHRISTY MATHEWSON" is one of David's favorites!! Visit the MATTY Web Site at www.matty.org for more information, photos and reviews. TICKET INFORMATION: Show begins at 7:30pm. To reserve seats, please send an email to: Blocktalk@pacbell.net, and please put "MATTY" as the subject. Let us know how many seats you'd like. This is a "Pay what you Can" show - you can pay before you go in - whatever amount you are comfortable with. This is a family-friendly show. Thank you to Gail Hart and all our friends at Hart High for letting us use the Auditorium for this special event! Also, thank you to Eddie Frierson for donating all his time and talent to perform this amazing show!
* Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - Restaurant Fund Raiser - Details to follow soon.
* Saturday, March 4, 2006 - * The Hart Swim Team is planning a Family Bowling Night and Raffle on March 4, 2006, from 6:30pm to 8:30pm at the Santa Clarita Lanes (21615 W. Soledad Canyon Road). Cost is $20 per person and includes: Bowling, Shoe Rental, Pizza and Soda. 20% of the proceeds will benefit the Ewart Aid Fund. Spaces are limited, so please reserve your space by February 9th. Make checks payable to Hart ASB/Swim Team and return to Coach Neale.
* Saturday, March 4, 2006 - Valencia Hills Swim Team will be sponsoring a "Texas Hold 'Em" poker night. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Ewarts. More details to follow.
* Saturday, March 11, 2006 - between 7:00am and 11:00am. Via Escovar Block Garage Sale to benefit the Ewarts. Come stroll around the block and find some treasures!
* Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 8:00pm, Vince Falzone, local musician, will be hosting the "Vince Falzone CD Release Benefit Concert" at the Canyon Theater Guild. Half of all proceeds will be donated to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Tickets are $12 each and may be ordered by calling Lily Qian-Falzone at (661) 803-5594 or emailing her at: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Note: This replaces the event that was previously scheduled for February 25th)
* Sunday, March 19, 2006 Benefit Comedy Show at J.R.'s Comedy Club at Marie Callendars. Special thanks to Randy Lubas of J.R.'s for his generous donation of the club and to all the comedians who are donating their talent & time for the cause. "G" Rated comedy for the whole family. $20.00 per person - the entire show amount is to be donated to the Ewart Catastrophe Fund. Dinner (optional) at 5:30 - cost $10.99 - 14.99. The menu can be viewed by going to the J.R.s Comedy Club website at: www.comedyinvalencia.com.First Show: 7:00pm to 8:30pm, Late Show: 9:00pm to 10:30pm. To get your tickets, please send a check for $20.00 per person in your party. Checks should be made payable to "David Ewart Catastrophe Fund". Be sure to write the account number in the memo section of your check: 8606-155136. Mail to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, ATTN: Josy
With your check, please include the following information:
* names of all the people in your party
* your preference of early show or late show
* Will you be coming for the 5:30 dinner/show, or just the 7pm show or 9pm show
*Return address for us to mail your tickets to you.
* Thursday, March 23, 2006 - JAY LENO BENEFIT performance at Hart High Auditorium, 7:30pm. Ticket information to follow.
* Sunday, April 2, 2006 - 1:30pm to 4:30pm - Big Bopping Bowling Bonanza at Valencia Lanes. We are looking for 24 teams of 5 people each to sign up, and each of those 24 teams will be charged some "SPARE" change - just $125 per team or $25 per person. 50% of the proceeds will go the Ewarts! If bowling's your thing, then get ready for a spectacularly, super-duper, "STRIKING" Sunday! 3 strikes and you're IN!!! We will SPARE you the rest of the details. For more information, please contact Sylvia Jacobowitz at (661) 288-1268 or email her at: email@example.com . Thanks, Sylvia, for coordinating this event
* Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 5:00pm to 7:00pm - Special Event - To be announced
* Sunday, April 30, 2006 OR Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 12:00pm - 5:00pm Spring/Summer Boutique. More details to follow.
*** COMING SOON ***
* "Where there is Love, there is Hope" Creative Card Contest - Stay tuned for details for an upcoming creative art contest. The winning designs will be used to produce blank printed cards that will be packaged and sold. All proceeds will benefit the Ewarts and winners will receive a wonderful prize! This contest/fund raiser helps tie-in David and his family's love for the arts while also raising money for the family.
*** SPECIAL REQUEST ***
* David, a professional violinist in LA had several violins, bows and a viola in his home on December 20th all of which were lost as a result of the tragic fire. This unfortunate loss included several bows by Sartory, Hill and Nurenberger and a fine Italian violin by Jannarius Gaglianus, made in 1765. Anyone who knows David, knows that the music continues to live in his heart, his soul and his spirit. He can't possibly keep it bottled up inside - his music must be shared with not only the community...but the world. If there is anyone who might have a Jannarius Gaglianus violin in their possession, would they consider letting David use it to share his beautiful music once again? It would be a most amazing blessing if we could help to reunite a masterful violinist with an instrument worthy of his talents.
*** HELP WANTED / ITEMS NEEDED ***
We WISH we could do it all...but the reality is that we need your help to make our events as successful as they can be! The Ewarts bills are going to be astronomical - even with their insurance. We are pleading with the community (local and far away) to please check our "help wanted" ads and step up wherever you can. If you are not comfortable assuming a position on your own...pair up with a friend. We have a long road ahead of us and it is our sincerest hope that you will be there to support this effort all the way through.
* Corporate Liaison - We are looking for someone who would be able to correspond with businesses to solicit goods, services, or gift certificates to be donated to the Silent Auctions for the benefit of the Ewarts.
* Is there a friendly attorney or IRS person out there that could help us file for 501 (c) 3 status (non-profit / charity status)? It sounds like this is a lengthy process with lots of paperwork - we want to make sure all the proper documents are filed on behalf of the Ewarts. This is a little out of our realm of expertise, so any advice would be more than welcome.
* Secondary Storage Facility - Our first storage facility has been maxed out and we still have nearly 20 other furniture pick-ups ready to be scheduled. Is there anyone out there that has a storage facility available? Extra space in a garage? Part of a warehouse? We estimate we will need this facility for 6 months, give or take a little. There are a lot of folks who have so graciously offered to donate some big-ticket items - one person is even storing a brand new (large) bed in her living room until we can get a place to store it. Please, please, please - ask your friends & co-workers!
* We need volunteers for a Silent Auction that will be held in conjunction with the Celebrity Golf Tournament, Gala Event and/or an upcoming Benefit Screening
* Please send us your ideas for different ways to make money for the Ewarts!
* If you have home movies or still pictures from any of the Variety Shows from Wiley Canyon Elementary or Old Orchard Elementary, please contact Patti Sulpizio who will be making a video montage of all of David's years as the Artistic Director. You may contact Patti at (661) 253-1673 or send her an email at: PattiSoul@aol.com
* Please continue to send PICTURES (not only of the Ewarts, but of you, their friends) to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, ATTN: Josy. It is helpful if you include a note detailing the who, what, where, when, how & why of the pictures. Also, please share your STORIES with us of how you know David, how he touched your life, how he made you laugh, etc. We are going to help the family with their scrapbooking needs for the rest of the year, so it's not too late to send stuff in!
Where there is love, there is hope,
Josy and Steve Block