Earthquake Anniversary Prompts Aftershocks?
In a weird coincidence, on the 10-year anniversary of the week following the Northridge Earthquake, we experienced several small quakes...
On Tuesday morning at 9:18am, 3 consecutive small earthquakes struck 4 miles east-southeast of Santa Clarita (roughly one mile east of the 14 and Sand Canyon Road)... The first was a 2.4 magnitude quake, followed 3 minutes later by a 2.8 and one minute later another 2.8 magnitude quake. Over an hour later at 10:34, a 2.0 magnitude quake struck in the same location. It is undetermined whether these quakes were new or aftershocks of a previous quake.
Ironically, KHTS is commemorating the 10-year anniversary of the 6.7 Northridge Earthquake with a series of broadcasts in the 9:00 hour of the Hometown Morning Show, with audio clips of continuous earthquake coverage from then-KBET AM 1220, as well as interviews with civic officials and former hosts:
- Monday: Assemblywoman Sharon Runner
- Tuesday: KBET host Barry McKeever, KBET/KHTS General Manager/Owner Carl Goldman
- Wednesday: Community Services Superintendent and Emergency Manager, City of Santa Clarita, Adele MacPherson
- Thursday: KBET host AJ Morgan (now Vytas Safronikas on KNX), Signal Chief Editor Tim Whyte
- Friday: College of the Canyons representative Sue Bozman
At the very moment we received word of a "possible shaker," KBET sports guru Barry "the Bear" McKeever and station manager Carl Goldman were discussing what it was like to be "the voice of the valley" in the weeks and months following the quake.
Audio clips of this week's broadcast should be available on this website in the near future.