Alerts Button
E-Alerts
Podcasts Button
Podcasts
Movies
Movies
Youtube Button
Youtube
Traffic Button
Traffic
ListenLive Button
ListenLive

Tuesday

Hot
Hot
High: 97 °F
Low: 68 °F

Wednesday

Hot
Hot
High: 97 °F
Low: 68 °F

Thursday

Hot
Hot
High: 99 °F
Low: 67 °F

Conservation Workers Overcome By Fumes

Workers in Whitney Canyon area uncover smelly substance.

Sponsored By:

The Brittany Foundation

Several California Conservation Corps workers clearing brush in a riverbed in Whitney Canyon were overcome by a noxious smell when they turned over a piece of treated wood.

Captain Chris Lanc of L.A. County Fire Department Station 73, which responded to the call, said that the workers were cleaning up the creek area and turned something over, releasing an overwhelming stench.

Early reports said that nine victims were taken to the hospital, information which turned out to be erroneous.

"One of them smelled something really bad and I think it was a domino effect," he said. "No one was taken to the hospital, and all their vitals were fine."

Investigators from the county's Health and Hazmat team used meters to determine whether the smell was toxic and found nothing.