80 Years Later, Interest In Dam Story At All Time High
Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society sponsors encore fundraiser St. Francis Dam Disaster Tour to be conducted on April 13.
The second-worst natural disaster in California history occurred March 12, 1928 when the St. Francis Dam collapsed, sending a wall of water rushing through San Francisquito Canyon and the Santa Clara River canyons, killing 450 and laying waste to thousands of acres of land. Due to overwhelming public demand, and to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the disaster, the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society will host an encore event exploring the dam break and its aftermath.
On Sunday, April 13, noted dam lecturer Frank Rock will conduct a motor coach tour and hike of the dam ruins as a fund raiser for the Society beginning at the Saugus Train Station in Heritage Junction at William S. Hart Park in Newhall, California at 1 p.m.
Tickets for the Sunday lecture and tour are $35 per person, which includes water and snacks. Participants should wear comfortable walking shoes and long pants for the moderate hike. The tour will last approximately three hours, when the motor coaches will return to Heritage Junction.
Rock is a historian who has been featured on the History Channel, Discovery and the Learning Channel and is considered the expert on the disaster. He is currently working with noted geologist J. David Rogers on a book about the disaster and has lectured on the disaster at the California Conference of Historical Societies Symposium, College of the Canyons and other groups of historical interest.
Tour reservations may be made via credit card by calling (661) 254-1275 or by mail by sending check or money order to the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 221925, Newhall, CA, 91322-1925.
Seats are limited, so make reservations early to guarantee a spot for the tour. Any remaining seats will be sold the day of the tour on a first-come, first-served basis. Unforeseen road or forest closures may cause cancellation of the tour.